Difference between MSI Pro and MSI Performance Series?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I want to get a Z370 board for my new build and I would like to stick with MSI (always used them in the past). I am torn between a

MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON (Performance Series), $180.00
and a
MSI Z370 SLI PLUS (Pro Series), $140.00

I really can't make out much difference when I look at the boards descriptions. Well, any idea why the one is $40 more? And is the cheaper one in any way worse? Did I miss a better alternative in the same price range?

Does anyone know what the difference is between the MSI series?

Thank you, Guys!!!

Solution

Differences (what you pay for the additional $40):

Gaming Pro Carbon has Reinforced/Armor RAM slots | SLI Plus has RAM slots not reinforced with Armor...

Geef

Distinguished
I just took a glance at both boards and the only differences I saw was one of them had a DVI port and the other had a Displayport for back connections. Also the Gaming Pro Carbon has Bluetooth. That might be useful if you have anything that uses it.

Differences (what you pay for the additional $40):

Gaming Pro Carbon has Reinforced/Armor RAM slots | SLI Plus has RAM slots not reinforced with Armor
Gaming Pro Carbon has 4x out of 6x SATA ports oriented in 90-deg. | SLI Plus has all 6x SATA ports in 90-deg.
Gaming Pro Carbon has 1x out of 2x M.2 slots with thermal cover | SLI Plus does not have any in its 2x M.2 slots
Gaming Pro Carbon has Dual Audio Codec (ALC1220) | SLI Plus has single codec (ALC1220)
Gaming Pro Carbon has DisplayPort onboard/igpu output | SLI Plus has DVI-D onboard/igpu output
Gaming Pro Carbon has 2x 4pin 12V RGB LED strip header | SLI Plus has 1x 4pin 12V RGB LED strip header
Gaming Pro Carbon has 2x 3pin 5V addressable RGB header | SLI Plus has none

The rest of the features/specs are similar, except for the looks/layout.

Note that the Gaming Pro Carbon has another version (a different model) that has a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth feature (i.e., the Gaming Pro Carbon AC). It is the same as the non-AC version with only an add-in PCI-e expansion card (Wi-Fi/Bluetooth) included to be plugged into one of the PCIe x1 slots.

For more info and comparison of different Z370 motherboard model, you can check the sortable comparison table in this link here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3546694/z370-motherboards-lga1151v2-comparison-tables.html#20288218

Solution

mjbn1977

Distinguished

Thank you for the detailed reply. That is a lot of information. Well, are any of the missing features on the SLI Plus very crititcal? What features would be kinda critical and very desirable? Or wouldn't I even notice a difference?

Critical features are the same in both boards, for example, the number of Power Phases (both 10x), VRM/Controller (both using uP9508 4+1 PWM controller), MOSFET heatsinks (both have them) and ATX12V/EPS power socket (both use 1x 8pin); the number of RAM slots (both 4x), SATA ports (both 6x), and M.2 slots (both 2x and can support up to full PCIe3.0 x4 speeds); the number of PCIe3.0 x16 slots for the GPU (both 3x and runs in x16/x0/x4 or x8/x8/x4 speeds that can support either 2-way SLI or 3-way CrossFire) and PCIe3.0 x1 slots (both 3x); the LAN controller (both using Intel I219V); the number of USB Ports (both have 10x total and have the exact number of USB3.1, USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports); the number of USB Internal Headers (both have 2x USB3.0 and 2x USB2.0); and the number of 4-pin Fan Headers (both have 6x and configurable for PWM or DC fans).

All the aforementioned differences in my previous post are non-critical features (just perks/gravy), so, you won't see a significant difference in performance using both motherboards side-by-side. What you'll only surely notice are the difference in physical looks and motherboard layout.

If you opt for the lower-priced Msi Z370 SLI Plus but you need Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, you need to get an additional PCIe x1 Wireless Adapter Expansion Card. Same goes for the Msi Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon. Only the Msi Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC has the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter card included in the box.

TRENDING THREADS