difference between PCI Express x16 and PCI Express 3.0

Arun007

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Hai guys I was going to buy a graphics card ( ZOTAC NVIDIA GTX 750TI 2 GB GDDR5) but when i saw its spec it says that its bus standard is PCI Express 3.0 but my mother board (Asus P5G41T-MLX3) has a PCI Express x16 slot what is the difference between theese slots will this graphics card fit in my mother board if not what should i do to fix it in my slot pls help me its urgent
(My english is not so good so pls accept my appologies)

Dec 23, 2014
Hiii arun,
You motherboard have PCIe 2.0 × 16 which means you have PCIe ×16 slot version 2.0 . The graphics card you want to get tells that PCIe 3.0 × 16 that means PCIe × 16 version 3.0. The size is same, the version 3.0 is little bit faster than version 2.0 but PCIe 2.0 × 16 have enough power and efficiency to handle the PCIe 3.0 × 16 graphics card. No gaming lag, no performance loss. ... That's all. .. It will straightforward compatible with the motherboard. ..... Go for it. ...:)

TopherNewski

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
no one is answering the actual question for these (counting 4 of them now..all same problem) posts asking:

"What is the difference between PCIe and PCIe x 16 3.0 and which is better?"

Everyone is just peddling their favorite card. Could someone please answer the question, minus the sales pitches.

What is the difference?
Which one is a better standard for GPU's?

seems simple enough for me. I am googling for the answer now, so when I find it I will post it here.

To the OP. Why are you thanking people for not answering your question. Don't take a bite of the turd sandwich, almost puke, then ask for more....jesus. People are so worried about being PC and polite now...

Mar 27, 2019
I know it has been a while since the original post, but I was looking for an answer to this also, and had to keep looking since this thread did not provide an answer that made sense to me though it came up as one of the highest search results. I'll add what I found in case someone else comes here looking for an answer too.

PCI-Express also seen as PCIe or PCI-E is a standard for connecting internal devices to a computer. There are currently (March 2019) 4 versions of the standard, and each of them is backwards compatible. This number refers to the version of programming on the card and the slot on the computer motherboard.

There are 4 sizes to the slots for the cards. x1, x4, x8 & x16. These are known as lanes and a card with a smaller lane number will fit in a slot for a card with a larger lane number. The number of lanes are related to the number of pins on the slot and card. A larger card will not normally fit in the smaller slots, unless the slot is open ended.

Each version of the specification fixes issues with the previous version, but the most significant difference is the increase in bandwidth of each version.
The bandwidth nearly doubles with each version specification
v1.0 - 2.0Gbs per lane
v2.0 - 4.0Gbs per lane
v3.0 - 7.8Gbs per lane
v4.0 - 15.7Gbs per lane

So to answer your original question. If you buy a card that is PCIe 3.0 x16, it will properly fit in a motherboard that has a PCIe x16 slot of any version. The card will be compatible up to the version of programming that the motherboard is spec'd for. You would need to find what version of the standard your motherboard is rated to. In your case that motherboard, Asus P5G41T-MLX3, has one PCIe 2.0 x16 slot and two PCIe 2.0 x1 slots. Since your motherboard has a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, your PCIe 3.0 x16 card will fit in the slot and it will only run up to version 2.0 of the standard.

Your PCIe 3.0 x16 card could potentially transfer data at a speed of 126.032 Gbs (7.877Gbs x 16 lanes) on a version 3.0 x16 slot. If you run it on a version 2.0 x16 slot the card can only transfer up to 64 Gbs (4Gbs x 16 lanes).

I hope this is helpful to others.

Reactions: Matt_ogu812