difference between WD10EZRX and WD10EZRZ

Yeni_09

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
hi,

I've got another question.
i just wanted to know the difference between WD10EZRX and WD10EZRZ..
As i know that one is blue and another one is green,
hence they are both 1TB, rpm intellipower, 64MB, SATA 6 Gb/s.
hope that u can help me.. thanks

The green uses little power, which creates less noise and less performance. The black uses more power, which creates more noise and more performance. The blue is in-between them (balanced).

Yeni_09

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

Yeni_09

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
hi Raisonjohn,

thanks for the info..by the way,is that regardless of what model it is..then it will depend on the color?like for example wd10ezrx and wd10ezrz they are both 1TB, rpm intellipower, 64MB, SATA 6 Gb/s. that means they will just differ in a way that one is less power and less performance while another one is average?

Yes it seems to be that way. They all have the same specs except for the low-power consumption of the Green and the higher-power consumption of the Black. The best choice is the Blue - great price/performance - and typically used for normal/average storage.

Although for a system drive, I would definitely recommend an SSD. The difference in boot times, load times, and performance is very very huge compared to HDD (mechanical drives). I usually get an SSD (for OS) and pair it with an HDD (for storage).

Hi again, Yeni_09!

Actually the WD10EZRX model is a WD Green HDD and it does incorporate IntelliPower RMP. However, as @raisonjohn and @USAFRet this drive is meant for secondary storage solution for your massive files. This RPM is not suited for primary OS HDD usage, if that's what you intend to use the drive for. The regular spin-down would result in a very slow boot.

The WD10EZRZ is a WD Blue though, so it doesn't have IntelliPower RPM! However, this particular model has 5,400 RPM in comparison to its brother the WD10EZEX model which has 7,200 RPM. I'd recommend you to look at the Specifications and all the available models for the WD Blue here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=KIk8mm

Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

KevinBui

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

Thank SuperSoph_WD!
I just read over the link. It seem that WD have recent anounced new several models for BLUE.
But why does WD reduce to 5400 rpm, for all of new models?
I intend to buy a new 2TB Green for archiving data. But after read this news, I hesitate...
Will GREEN be discontinued in future?

Hey there, Kevin!

Sorry for the late reply!
The disclaimer on our website is correct. WD Green is going to become part of the WD Blue family However, the WD Blue will be split into two separate RPM classes: 5,400 RPM-class and 7,200 RPM-class.
The old WD Green will fall into the 5,400 RPM-class drives, but yet all its features will stay. However, we won't be calling them 'IntelliPower-RPM drives' like we did till now, but instead you'd know what RPM class the HDDs belong to.
This change is intended to simplify the HDD selection process when you're planning to upgrade your storage. So basically we're just consolidating our mainstream PC product offerings to only the WD Blue family. All current WD Green capacity, cache and form-factor configurations will remain available through their lifecycle, but under the WD Blue brand.

Hope I was able to answer your question! :)
Keep me posted if you have more!
SuperSoph_WD

farqhart

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016

farqhart

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
No difference. Per the WD web site "*The WD Green hard drive functionality will remain the same. However, it will now have a WD Blue label with a slight change to their model numbers (ex. WD60EZRX will now become WD60EZRZ)".

TRENDING THREADS