[SOLVED] Difference between Z490 and Z490-A? worth prem price?

Guts28

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015
Basically that.. I can't fully decide which of these two to grab... they both seems to have almost the same "stuff" per say... the difference is obviously it's cooling solution, and of course it's pricing.... I'm gonna pair it with an i7 10700k, can I get the most out of it by just buying the regular Z490 or I need the Z490-A for get the most juice out of the cpu?
Z490 prime:
Z490-A prime:

(from Asus I only have these two options available on my local store)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
This is not a scientific answer as such, not sure if helpful but I opted for the Prime A on the basis that any future Overclockimg would be marginally aided by the extra cooling etc.

if you are running stock then it is difficult to see the benefit.

mind you - depending on price difference, if you can stretch to the Prime A then you wont kick yourself if later you want to play (Which you might if you buy the cheaper board).

HTH

JJ
Dec 4, 2020
This is not a scientific answer as such, not sure if helpful but I opted for the Prime A on the basis that any future Overclockimg would be marginally aided by the extra cooling etc.

if you are running stock then it is difficult to see the benefit.

mind you - depending on price difference, if you can stretch to the Prime A then you wont kick yourself if later you want to play (Which you might if you buy the cheaper board).

HTH

JJ

Reactions: Guts28
Solution

Guts28

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015
Ok, thanks a lot for the answer! And yeah I'm planning to OC my i7 10700k nothing crazy but I will oc it for sure haha.

I will try to stretch for the prime A then. Thanks again and happy new year!

Dec 4, 2020
I have to say they look rather similar to me!

Double check the specs and let price be your guide as the colour appears to be the main difference LOL!

Either will serve you well I have no doubt, but learning from my experience, disable any Asus OClocking and do it yourself!

Good luck!

JJ

Jan 8, 2021
Well it isn't a bad price point but like everything technology based every thing changes rapidly... the 11th Gen intel chipset is coming out in March which will be supported on the Z490 boards... also it will support PCI 4.0 just something to consider as well!

Good luck in your decision...

Jabber