Question Different CPU temperatures shown in BIOS compared to Ryzen Master & AIDA64 ?

Aug 25, 2024
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

So if i run my PC and open the BIOS, it shows like i got only 45-49 degrees on my CPU, but as soon as i start Windows 11, Ryzen Master and AIDA64 show that its 95 degrees but it's actually not, I cant feel any overheating from my PC, its not that hot for 95 degrees, plus it shows the temp of the chipset like 45 degrees.

The problem is it seems like it lowers the CPU frequency because of the "overheating" and so I get FPS drops in games due to that. Any fixes?

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
In bios the CPU is pretty much completely idle so its normal for it to have very low temp. In both cases however the temperature you see comes from the same sensor so it would show 95C in the bios too if you could run AIDA and see the bios at the same time.
And by what you say you seem to mistake heat and temperature. Temperature in the case of electronic components, is the amount of heat NOT extracted from them by the cooler. So when you feel hot air from the PC it means the cooler is taking heat from the CPU and pushing it out of the case and the temperature should be lower. If the temperature is high and you don't feel hot air coming out, it means the cooler is not removing heat form the CPU.

Reactions: CountMike
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

So if i run my PC and open the BIOS, it shows like i got only 45-49 degrees on my CPU, but as soon as i start Windows 11, Ryzen Master and AIDA64 show that its 95 degrees but it's actually not, I cant feel any overheating from my PC, its not that hot for 95 degrees, plus it shows the temp of the chipset like 45 degrees.

The problem is it seems like it lowers the CPU frequency because of the "overheating" and so I get FPS drops in games due to that. Any fixes?
Yes at 95c that CPU heat throttles a lot, it works best at about 60c package temp. If temps readings are right and they probably are , something is really bad with your cooling. At idle and BIOS it shouldn't be over35-40c depending on room/environment temps. Considering you can't feel higher temps of exhaust air, it's most probably bad contact between cooler and CPU,You can check that by placing finger on CPU cooler body and if it doesn't feel hot while CPU is, re-paste and make sure it makes good contact.