[SOLVED] Different pair of RAM question

dddmaniac

Honorable
Mar 13, 2018
Hello,

Maybe it's a noob question, but I'm not sure if it will be correct to do it.

I've bought these RAM once I've built my some years ago,
Ballistix Sport LT BLS2C8G4D240FSE (28gb), but now I want to upgrade to 32gb and this model is not in the market anymore. I decided to buy this pair Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G26C16U4B (28gb) and my question is, will it work correctly together?

My MB is MSI B360 Gaming Plus (CPU is I7-9700F) which supports maximum of 2666mhz and the 1st pair of RAM came with only 2400mhz. I overlocked it a bit and now is working at it's maximum (2666mhz). Don't know if this relevant, but just for info.

Thanks!

Solution
The guiding document is the User Guide/Manual for your MSI MB.

The User Manual will provide an initial listing of supported RAM modules and supported RAM configurations (slots and pairings).

The User Manual will also very likely refer you back to MSI's website for more up-to-date information. Look for the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List) of supported memory modules. Also look in the FAQ and Forums for memory related problems and questions.

Another way is to go to memory manufacturers' websites. Many have a search engine wherein you enter information about your motherboard and they memory manufacturer provides the necessary information. However, that must be carefully done - details matter and the interpretation of supported may...

Ralston18

Titan
The guiding document is the User Guide/Manual for your MSI MB.

The User Manual will provide an initial listing of supported RAM modules and supported RAM configurations (slots and pairings).

The User Manual will also very likely refer you back to MSI's website for more up-to-date information. Look for the QVL (Qualified Vendor's List) of supported memory modules. Also look in the FAQ and Forums for memory related problems and questions.

Another way is to go to memory manufacturers' websites. Many have a search engine wherein you enter information about your motherboard and they memory manufacturer provides the necessary information. However, that must be carefully done - details matter and the interpretation of supported may be quite liberal.

Key is to find a consensus regarding any given RAM product and configuration you have in mind. Hopefully 2 or 3 manufacturers, including MSI, all agree with the memory pairings that you have in mind.

Keep in mind that the system needs to be considered as a whole; e.g. power requirements to support the overall build.

And remember that you must purchase memory modules in matched sets (kits) for dual channel use.

FYI:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B360-GAMING-PLUS#down-manual

[Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.]

Page 16 provides RAM specs.

Page 28 provides RAM installation instructions.

Do note the requirement that that first RAM module be installed in DIMMA2.

Solution
There is no guarantee that two different ram kits will work properly together.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Intel is quite tolerant about this so your odds of success are reasonably good.
Can you return the new ram if it does not work properly?

Test the ram to insure all is ok.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If you run into problems, sometimes increasing the ram voltage in the bios will fix things.