[SOLVED] Different Ram speeds but in different channels?

May 13, 2020
I've tried searching this but the question is usually about different ram speeds in the same channel.

I currently have 2x 8gb 2666mhz in dual channel. If I purchase a new kit of 2x 8gb 3200mhz and put them in my open 2 slots, which would be a different channel would this be ok?

Would they be forced to run at 2666mhz? Will it run at all?

I plan to upgrade my original sticks to 3200mhz as well to match the new ones, but I can't affford it at the moment and my memory usage is above 90% when streaming. So I just want to make sure I can run all 4 sticks for now, and then upgrade the first 2 later down the road.

I appreciate anyone's help!

Solution
As above mixing RAM is not guaranteed to work, even 2 separate kits of the same make and model may not work together. Also using 4 sticks reduces the chances of being able to run higher speeds. Your best option is to buy a 2x16gb 3200mhz kit and sell your current RAM.

D

Deleted member 14196

It might work and it might not. Whenever you mix ram kits together you never know what you’re going to get

As above mixing RAM is not guaranteed to work, even 2 separate kits of the same make and model may not work together. Also using 4 sticks reduces the chances of being able to run higher speeds. Your best option is to buy a 2x16gb 3200mhz kit and sell your current RAM.

Solution

Endre

Reputable
I've tried searching this but the question is usually about different ram speeds in the same channel.

I currently have 2x 8gb 2666mhz in dual channel. If I purchase a new kit of 2x 8gb 3200mhz and put them in my open 2 slots, which would be a different channel would this be ok?

Would they be forced to run at 2666mhz? Will it run at all?

I plan to upgrade my original sticks to 3200mhz as well to match the new ones, but I can't affford it at the moment and my memory usage is above 90% when streaming. So I just want to make sure I can run all 4 sticks for now, and then upgrade the first 2 later down the road.

I appreciate anyone's help!

It’s a risky move.
I wouldn’t do it.
In the best case, they’ll all run at 2666.
In the worst case, they’ll lead to unexpected errors and headaches.
I’d buy a good kit of 2 x 16GB.