Diffetent versions wont work together?

Mar 8, 2018
I expanded my RAM recently. Exact same specs. But the version is different. Old is 2.12 new is 5.14. Each set works individually. Together the MB recognizes only one set and shows only 8 MB installed rather than 16.

RAM is
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) DIMM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9, Asus Motherboard P8Z68-V LE.

Any suggestions? I'd rather not buy entirely new RAM, which is why I wanted to expand it. It's an older PC but functions well so there is no reason to start replacing major components.

Solution
Mixing individual memory modules and mixing dual channel kits, even if they are the same part number with same specifications, is always a gamble as to whether the modules and kits will be compatible with each other.

Memory module compatibility depends on the memory module characteristics being identical in order to work properly. That's why there are dual (triple, and quad) channel memory kits available which have modules that have been manufacturer tested for inter-module compatibility (the modules are guaranteed to work together).

Suggest getting a 2 x 8 GB dual channel kit to replace the existing memory. The existing memory could be either returned (if still possible), or sold, or kept as back up. Do a search here for...
Mixing individual memory modules and mixing dual channel kits, even if they are the same part number with same specifications, is always a gamble as to whether the modules and kits will be compatible with each other.

Memory module compatibility depends on the memory module characteristics being identical in order to work properly. That's why there are dual (triple, and quad) channel memory kits available which have modules that have been manufacturer tested for inter-module compatibility (the modules are guaranteed to work together).

Suggest getting a 2 x 8 GB dual channel kit to replace the existing memory. The existing memory could be either returned (if still possible), or sold, or kept as back up. Do a search here for compatible 2 x 8 GB dual channel kits.

Note that quad channel kits (4 x 4 GB) are not really recommended as they load the system more and there is increased chance of system/memory problems (eventually).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS