[SOLVED] Difficulties repurposing old MYBOOK drive as a USB Drive

Feb 13, 2022
I bought THIS adaptor, hoping to re purpose the 1TB drive from my old MYBOOK drive as a portable USB drive (I've got a 2TB one now).
It connects and shows up in Devices and Printers as "Best USB Drive" but it doesn't appear in "My PC"
Was the Drive formatted differently to work in MYBOOK ? or is there something I'm missing?

P.S.
Exploring further into Devices and Printers I found the following:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_WDC_WD10&Prod_EADS-11M2B2\6&136fce66&0&000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_STORAGE_DEVICE&Rev_1404\6&3b469f8a&1
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF120
Present: false

Last edited:
Solution
WD My Book NAS internally is embedded Linux computer. Drive use Ext4 file system which Windows doesn't recognize. To use it as external drive from Windows, open Disk Manager, select My Book drive and delete all partitions in it. Then create a new partition over all drive and format it in NTFS file system.
WD My Book NAS internally is embedded Linux computer. Drive use Ext4 file system which Windows doesn't recognize. To use it as external drive from Windows, open Disk Manager, select My Book drive and delete all partitions in it. Then create a new partition over all drive and format it in NTFS file system.

Solution
Feb 13, 2022

Many thanks for your detailed explanation, it's much appreciated.
Unfortunately I have taken the My Book to pieces and I am only left with the bare drive, so I don't think I can sort out the partitions now?

Feb 13, 2022
I mentioned exactly what to do with bare drive when it is taken out from NAS device. You will be fine with repartitioning as I described above.

Sorry, didn't realise that.
I've opened Disk Management now and it shows Disk 0 and Disk 1
I'm pretty certain it's Disk 1 I need to work on.
I'll let you know how I get on.