Digital Storm Intros Ultra-thin "Future-Proof" Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Nice looking rig, would be pretty awesome to take that in a backpack to LAN parties at school instead of carting the big ol tower 10 blocks down campus and all the weird looks people give you lol.

[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]She doesn't have enough power, captain![/citation]
500W should be plenty, that is assuming DS used a good PSU in there.

A system with a 3770K and 680 should only draw around 250-300W under normal circumstances.

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Is that a 1u server PSU I see in there? This machine is going to be loud.
Falcon Northwest made a rig like this called the "tiki" and it is claimed to be quiet and they even crammed
A water cooler in its tiny case too. Then again the tiki is way more expensive.

Would be great for a LAN party but I would rather build an sff build with a silver stone sg07 that is also upgradeable and can fit a water cooler as well. It also has a 600 watt PSU in it too.

Digital Storm Bolt: 3.6 inches wide, 14 inches tall 1000$ build uses an i3-2100 and a Gtx 650 ti
Alienware x51: 3.74 inches wide, 13.5 inches tall(on the taller side) 1050$ build uses an i5-3330 and Gtx 660

and i though alienware was overpriced.

Designed for gamers on a tight budget looking for both performance and value
Starting price: $999
CPU: Intel Core i3 2100
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2 GB
Storage: 1 TB 7200RPM
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-1
Optical Drive: Slim 8X DVD-RW
Power Supply: 500W
So to break it down:
CPU - $125
RAM - $40
GPU - $175
HD - $70
Mobo - $100
DVD Burner - $30
PSU - $60
Case - $100
OS - $80

Sooo for about $780 shipped from Newegg you can have the "Gamers on a tight budget" PC!! Of coarse I gave the case a $100 value (not sure if it's worth that or not) and the PSU a $60 value too. But I can tell you that I would rather spend more $ on the GPU than what they have allowed for a $1k gaming system.

[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]Overpriced as hell!!! You can build these yourself for literally half the price.[/citation]
its price is aesthetics and size. though its still overpriced if you compare it to Alienware(Dell) slim tower comparison. by a large margin.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]its price is aesthetics and size. though its still overpriced if you compare it to Alienware(Dell) slim tower comparison. by a large margin.[/citation]

Seriously if I wanted to dish out large amounts of money for aesthetics i'd just buy a mac and call it a day. At least apple has good customer service.

This company really pisses me off. They're selling PNY GTX 480s in their "parts upgrade" section of the website for $400.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but 'small' is not a selling factor to me for a performance PC.
Bigger case means I can put more stuff in there, or have plenty of room to let the chips breathe some cool air.

And as for their pricing, have they had a look at the economy lately?
People do not have any cash to throw away but must count every hard earned penny; Apple users are obviously excluded :)

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Maybe it's just me, but 'small' is not a selling factor to me for a performance PC.Bigger case means I can put more stuff in there, or have plenty of room to let the chips breathe some cool air.And as for their pricing, have they had a look at the economy lately?People do not have any cash to throw away but must count every hard earned penny; Apple users are obviously excluded :)[/citation]
Small is aimed at Lan Party players. even so, I would rather use something with handles like a bitfenix prodigy mini itx kind of build over paying more for something like this.

G

not that impressed with the lay out, when i built mine in CAD i was able to fit an extra 2 hard drives in a box the same size

Overpriced. Future Proof? There is no such thing. PSU: maybe ok for now, but no upgradability. And finally, slim tower... ok looks nice, but means less space more heat inside...

I guess it aint my brand of beer.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]500W should be plenty, that is assuming DS used a good PSU in there. A system with a 3770K and 680 should only draw around 250-300W under normal circumstances.[/citation]

I'm not convinced. I've meassured a 765W power draw at full load on my system in the past. That had a corsair 620W psu, so after efficiency was considered, I had very little room left.
And that was with a highend and a midrange card in crossfire only. Not two highend cards, which by my standard is the minimum for anything future proof.
A system isn't future proof if it can't handle something I had 3 years ago. (i7-920, 4870x2+4870)

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom] A system isn't future proof if it can't handle something I had 3 years ago. (i7-920, 4870x2+4870)[/citation]

Umm, no. That's backward thinking. As technology moves forward power requirements decrease as more efficient technology is developed (smaller transistors, 3d gate tech, etc).
For example nvidia flagship gtx 680 requires a whooping 50W less to run than the gtx 580.
Another example, i7-920 had a tdp rating of 130W while the i7-3770k 2 gens later only needs 77W, but still has same core/thread count and is faster.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
this "future-proof" is just a gimmick to (console users), i think that anyone from this forum know that this is a ridiculous statement...

The same way i could still be using my old computer with the 9800gtx+ for gaming nowdays , this system can also be used for years.

The point is at what graphical settings and at what framerate?

"Digital Storm says it's the power supply coupled with plenty of room for large video cards "
So how would behave a 500w power supply with a gtx 690?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]Sure there is. The rig never built is the rig that will never be outdated. Unfortunately companies can't sell that...(Or can they...)[/citation]
Apple can. It's magical. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS