Digital Storm Takes on DIY; Its Prebuilt PC Costs $23 More

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Reasonable, though I wonder if buying parts on sale and combo deals would affect comparison. Hopefully these are examples rather than supposed high performance systems

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
They may be able to eliminate the labor it takes to build a system for you, And even at a reasonable price. But what they can't replace is the joy, satisfaction and the pride you feel when you build it yourself.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

That's the thing though, I'm pretty sure we're not DS's target market. I'm sure you've noticed from the other comments that most of us are pretty defensive about building for ourselves.

alextheblue

Distinguished
If these were heavily configurable, I might have considered pulling the trigger on something like this. That's not a big premium, and they're testing it before they ship it out. But at these prices, of course they're not going to be all that configurable. They are essentially higher-volume fixed-component prebuilts with a few choices that simply make them unpalatable (to me).
I don't feel compelled to always build with my own hands, but I am pretty obsessive when it comes to component selection, They DO offer much more customizable rigs that I can spec quite nicely, but then you're right back to square one. They cost a fortune! So really, nothing has changed.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
My computer is around 22 years old (seeing how I only upgraded a part or two at a time), so I wouldn't consider pre-built anything. Good on Digital Storm for giving great value, though.

anathema_forever

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
1. I can build my own computer to the exact specs for my usage which gives me like 20% more bang for my buck. 2. I learn what makes a good computer and a bad computer therfor know what i am doing better and if i actually bought one wouldn't buy a $3k piece of crap. 3. I can surf deals and buy used and refurbished aswell as rollover parts. Conclusion this is a terrible direct competitor with DIY even if I did spend as much as they do. Even if I did "want" their exact configuration of parts. Of course if I didn't know how to build a computer then this would change things a bit.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I check out the site and first thing i notice is they limit the amount of customization, NO way to reselect an AMD CPU on the the higher end vid card , all their customizations are limited so their point if FUBAR moot !
makes me hate the company even more because they flat out f----ing lie pretty much

DG3

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

I bit defensive maybe. But before one gets too cocky about being a DIY'er, I'd suggest one look at the forums here at Tom's and realize there are TROVES of threads about various problems people are having after assembling their own system. And that's just in the last 24 hours. So what works for some obviously doesn't work for all.

DG3

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
No doubt there will be a market for these prebuilds. The folks who aren't quite ready to go full-out DIY, but have tired of store bought PC's and their associated customer service. While DIY'ers can do better, one would think that the DS builds and customer service would be better than the HP or Gateways sitting on store shelves, or the CyberPower type outfits online.

Status
Not open for further replies.