Digital Storm's Titan Edition of ''World's Thinnest'' Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]eeeh...aren't mobos combined with GFX card thicker than 3.6"?[/citation]
They use a PCIe riser card to put the card at a 90 degree angle so it's parallel with the motherboard. The same trick is used in Falcon Northwest's Tiki, Alienware's X51, and iBuyPower's Revolt. Simple little trick that very few (if any) aftermarket cases support, which is why these botique vendors have to do custom cases to house these machines.

kevinmcg

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
eeeh...

aren't mobos combined with GFX card thicker than 3.6"?
They use a PCIe riser card to put the card at a 90 degree angle so it's parallel with the motherboard. The same trick is used in Falcon Northwest's Tiki, Alienware's X51, and iBuyPower's Revolt. Simple little trick that very few (if any) aftermarket cases support, which is why these botique vendors have to do custom cases to house these machines.

Yes. Also most video cards are 4" tall, so its about just as wide as a video card is, just fyi.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
anyone else saving their money to buy these cards before they sell out, then resell them for an inflated price?
I missed the boat on the GTX690s, since I didn't know which manufacturer was selling them first. Could have made hundreds from just a few cards.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]ankit0x1[/nom]better to build a little thick computer at that price...2 grand...imagine the system[/citation]
Seeing as $1000 of this budget goes straight to the GPU and another $500 goes to the CPU and motherboard, you're left with $500 for a case, RAM, power supply, SSD, hard drive, and disk drive. It can be done but you're seriously cutting corners on some parts if you're gonna fit this in a $2000 budget. The $2500 they're charging is actually absurdly reasonable for the specs and form factor.

Draconian

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]Seeing as $1000 of this budget goes straight to the GPU and another $500 goes to the CPU and motherboard, you're left with $500 for a case, RAM, power supply, SSD, hard drive, and disk drive. It can be done but you're seriously cutting corners on some parts if you're gonna fit this in a $2000 budget. The $2500 they're charging is actually absurdly reasonable for the specs and form factor.[/citation]

I'm wondering if that $2,500 includes a Titan. If so, then that's actually quite a reasonably priced pre-built system. I doubt it though. What the press release most likely means is that the Titan is available as an option if you're willing to spend $3,500 to $4,000.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Draconian[/nom]I'm wondering if that $2,500 includes a Titan. If so, then that's actually quite a reasonably priced pre-built system. I doubt it though. What the press release most likely means is that the Titan is available as an option if you're willing to spend $3,500 to $4,000.[/citation]
The link that was posted in the article brings you to Digital Storm's product page for the Bolt. If you click "Customize/Specs" before the "Coming Soon" banner loads you can see the $2500 price tag and can scroll down to see the Titan GPU.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadbolt.asp?id=786887

G

If you buy one of these beast and only buy one of those cheap 1080p displays for it to game on, you need to be taken out back and beaten to a pulp. A minimum of a $1200 2560 x 1600 display should be bought with this rig if not 3 of them. I dont understand some people buying high end rigs or cards only to game at 1080. Display is the most important part of any gaming PC, it should be your first priority, then GPU second, CPU and so on.

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

This. Although I think a $400 2560x1440 is sufficient for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.