Digital Version of Prey Sold Out on Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I bought Stalker ClearSky for $5 on that sale. They're also sellnig the original stalker for $2.49 I think but I already have it.

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]They ran out of keys THAT they want to sell for that price.Simple as that.[/citation]

agreed.

nawat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]They ran out of keys THAT they want to sell for that price.Simple as that.[/citation]
agreed... who would design a cd-key system that only generates several cd-keys that would sold out in a holiday sale.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
lol, maybe this is all a hoax to make ppl think that Prey is a rare, valuable item that ppl should buy while they can...

i mean, it was ok...

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
or it can be a simple psychological trick... you know pull it off for now, put it back up and see a massive increase in sales because now people wanna know what the hype is about

AND OMG MW:WAW IS ON SALE HOLY SHIT... fucking activision. sell it for $7.50 like it shud be.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]sublifer[/nom]I bought Stalker ClearSky for $5 on that sale. They're also sellnig the original stalker for $2.49 I think but I already have it.[/citation]
Stalker was a pretty good game, creepy and erie in a way you had to play it to feel.
As far as needing a key for a game this old is stupid, just open it up and drop all the DRM.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Steam is the best thing which could happen to PC Gaming Industry. Consoles suck![/citation]
Not really. I consider Steam to be bloatware and a pain in the ass.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I really like Steam, I personally think it is a great service. It is great being able to format a hard drive and be able to download/install all my games in the background while doing other stuff.
Plus the whole seeing what friends are playing what thing is great, it makes it cake to join in a game with friends and own some face.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I missed the deal on burnout paradise because I did'nt realize it was one day only :/ would've been a good game to grab. and I did manage to get day of defeat source which is a game i've needed for a long time.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]nawat[/nom]agreed... who would design a cd-key system that only generates several cd-keys that would sold out in a holiday sale.[/citation]
If it could only generate such a small number of keys then the keys must be very simple and short. There's no way they just "ran out."

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]If it could only generate such a small number of keys then the keys must be very simple and short. There's no way they just "ran out."[/citation]

Yeah I am too lazy to do the math but I am pretty sure that the key systems in these things have a block of working keys (if everything worked then you could just fill in the blank with any random crap and it would work) but even subtracting like 99% of the possibilities the remaining 1% would probably be enough for every man woman and child on the planet lol

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
digital distribution is great, but i still love my good old boxes.
i have to agree with "sliem" that they just ran out of serial keys they want to sell at that price. i guess they still need the money for the next version of this game.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]transsive[/nom]Bought Bioshock for 5 euro though...Steam, fighting piracy with great deals, ha ha...[/citation]
Yeah...
Aside from steam liking credit cards and paypal accounts linked to credit, it makes this debit only guy sad. That along with a prepaid credit card costs too much here, it's dissapointing.
I admit, I pirate like hell, but I still buy like hell too. Tempting to go and buy every steam game I can at once though. =D
With prices like these, it's just easier than pirating (update this file, block firewall, check 10 cracks until one works etc.).

isamuelson

Distinguished
I purchased Silent Hill and the damn thing is SLOW loading. By the time I was able to select the start game menu item, it had been 20 minutes. I gave up 5 minutes later. So, even though I got a good price on it, it's a bad game that I can't run and my rig can run games like RE5 on full tilt, Dragon Age: Origins, etc. (AMD X2 4200+, 4 gigs RAM, ATI 3870 PCIe, Windows 7 x64)

Still, there are other great deals. I might just have to pick up Jade Empire. I did pick up the Atari pack which is a fun set of games (Arcade, 2600, etc). Ahh, the 2600 days. Those were fun times!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
That's not fair to say about a game that came out in 2006... they did what they could to adapt it for Steam... thus the CD keys are still required. Steam handles this scenario as gracefully as it can... it saves your CD key with your account and even simplifies copying it to the clipboard so even the greenest PC users will be able to paste it back into the game when prompted.

isamuelson

Distinguished
[citation][nom]isamuelson[/nom]I purchased Silent Hill and the damn thing is SLOW loading. By the time I was able to select the start game menu item, it had been 20 minutes. I gave up 5 minutes later. So, even though I got a good price on it, it's a bad game that I can't run and my rig can run games like RE5 on full tilt, Dragon Age: Origins, etc. (AMD X2 4200+, 4 gigs RAM, ATI 3870 PCIe, Windows 7 x64)Still, there are other great deals. I might just have to pick up Jade Empire. I did pick up the Atari pack which is a fun set of games (Arcade, 2600, etc). Ahh, the 2600 days. Those were fun times![/citation]

Well, I reinstalled Steam and Silent Hill now runs fine. Not sure why that fixed it.

I think over this sale, I spent so much money on games. I picked up so many deals during this sale. I'm sad to see it end, but my bank account (and my wife) are happy. It means no more money being spent! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.