[SOLVED] DIMM Slot A1 and A2 suddenly not working

ninen2001

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Last week my computer just froze when I was gaming. I thought nothing of it really and restarted and after that my computer has been freezing and crashing a ton after. First it started out with BSoDs with some varying errors and later on I just got freezing or black screen, even in BIOS on two occasions, Turns out now after some more testing that neither the A1 or A2 DIMM slots work. I've tried both of my RAM sticks separately in each DIMM slot and when I have a stick in either B1, B2 or both at the same time my computer boots and works fine.

The strange thing is that I haven't even opened my computer in a long while, this problem came out of the blue. I don't see how a pin on my CPU could just suddenly get bent or anything like that since I haven't reseated my CPU or heatsink since I installed them in the first place which was just barely a year ago. I have made sure all screws on my motherboard and heatsink are tightened properly. I screwed all the screws softly (like finger tight) and then just a tiny bit more.

Solution
And can XMP be used in single channel to run my RAM in 3000MHz?

Yes.

How much is performance affected in games using single channel instead of dual channel?

Rough estimation;
(same make, model, speed, CL, and total amount; but one is single stick in single-channel, while another is dual stick in dual-channel),
comparison: https://ram.userbenchmark.com/Compa...vs-HyperX-Fury-DDR4-2133-C14-2x4GB/3555vs3554

And here's more accurate gameplay comparison:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCg7eVN6N9w

Overall, it's quite substantial.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Turns out now after some more testing that neither the A1 or A2 DIMM slots work.

Nothing lasts for forever and that's the harsh truth of our lives.

Since you can get your PC to work, when using 2nd RAM channel, it's up to you, if you want to RMA your MoBo, if you have any warranty left on it.
If not, use your PC until all the RAM slots die eventually and then replace MoBo.

I don't see how a pin on my CPU could just suddenly get bent or anything like that

I thought you had issue of RAM slots not working, not CPU having a bent pin?

ninen2001

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Nothing lasts for forever and that's the harsh truth of our lives.

Since you can get your PC to work, when using 2nd RAM channel, it's up to you, if you want to RMA your MoBo, if you have any warranty left on it.
If not, use your PC until all the RAM slots die eventually and then replace MoBo.

I thought you had issue of RAM slots not working, not CPU having a bent pin?

I meant that usually people say that broken DIMM slots can be the cause of bent CPU pins.

I bought my motherboard used so no warranty on it. I guess I'll just use the RAM single channel and get a new motherboard at some point.
The thing is that I could use the the A2 slot and B2 slot for a bit with freezing here and there and then suddenly not being able to boot at all with anything in the A slots. Is it usual for a slot to gradually fail like this?

I meant that usually people say that broken DIMM slots can be the cause of bent CPU pins.
This is true as the RAM is connected to the CPU via PCI-E lane, but highly unlikely to happen out of the blue.

DIMM slots are usually durable and last for a very, very long time - unless they experience one of the following:

-Corrosion
-Electric Surge(very rare)
-Electrostatic discharge
-Manufacturing defects

What's your motherboard model anyways? My guess is that its probably extremely old.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I meant that usually people say

Depends who is saying that.

I, for one, have never heard that one bent CPU pin can disable two of the four RAM slots on MoBo. Even if the specific pin, that is used to access RAM, is bent, all RAM slots wouldn't work.

Usually, when CPU experiences bent pin(s), the whole packet (CPU) isn't working. And bent pins usually happen during CPU and/or CPU cooler installation, not long after.
Also, for the most of cases, several pins would be bent at once, not just one specific pin, in the midst of pin array.

I guess I'll just use the RAM single channel

It depends which of the two slots are dead. If DIMM1A and DIMM2A, then yes, you'd be left singe channel since one of the channels can't be used at all. But if DIMM1A and DIMM1B, (half of both channels) then you can use other half of remaining slots and still get dual channel out, by having RAM in DIMM2A and DIMM2B slots.

ninen2001

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Depends who is saying that.

I, for one, have never heard that one bent CPU pin can disable two of the four RAM slots on MoBo. Even if the specific pin, that is used to access RAM, is bent, all RAM slots wouldn't work.

Usually, when CPU experiences bent pin(s), the whole packet (CPU) isn't working. And bent pins usually happen during CPU and/or CPU cooler installation, not long after.
Also, for the most of cases, several pins would be bent at once, not just one specific pin, in the midst of pin array.

It depends which of the two slots are dead. If DIMM1A and DIMM2A, then yes, you'd be left singe channel since one of the channels can't be used at all. But if DIMM1A and DIMM1B, (half of both channels) then you can use other half of remaining slots and still get dual channel out, by having RAM in DIMM2A and DIMM2B slots.

Okay I see. When I read up on my issue people on this forum were saying a bent pin could be the cause. Sadly both A1 and A2 are broken. How much is performance affected in games using single channel instead of dual channel? And can XMP be used in single channel to run my RAM in 3000MHz?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
And can XMP be used in single channel to run my RAM in 3000MHz?

Yes.

How much is performance affected in games using single channel instead of dual channel?

Rough estimation;
(same make, model, speed, CL, and total amount; but one is single stick in single-channel, while another is dual stick in dual-channel),
comparison: https://ram.userbenchmark.com/Compa...vs-HyperX-Fury-DDR4-2133-C14-2x4GB/3555vs3554

Solution

ninen2001

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Yes.

Rough estimation;

Okay thanks! I'll just have to deal with a bit worse performance for now. Do you have any idea as to why the slots would suddenly just stop working?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have any idea as to why the slots would suddenly just stop working?

Answer to that would be the same for anything else that either breaks or stops working, by answering to: Why nothing lasts for forever?

As far as specific details that caused some RAM slots stop working - that i can't answer since i don't work for the motherboard manufacturer and i don't know the minute details why specific component within MoBo fails.
Most of the times, it's age, where component has worn out. Other times it could be manufacturing defect, that shortened the lifespan considerably. Then there's always ESD, but ESD usually fries entire MoBo. Mounting pressure (MoBo bending) could be one of the reasons.

ninen2001

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Answer to that would be the same for anything else that either breaks or stops working, by answering to: Why nothing lasts for forever?

As far as specific details that caused some RAM slots stop working - that i can't answer since i don't work for the motherboard manufacturer and i don't know the minute details why specific component within MoBo fails.
Most of the times, it's age, where component has worn out. Other times it could be manufacturing defect, that shortened the lifespan considerably. Then there's always ESD, but ESD usually fries entire MoBo. Mounting pressure (MoBo bending) could be one of the reasons.
Okay I see. Too bad, haven't had components break for "no reason" before.