Direct3D 10/11 Natively Implemented on Linux

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

For all of you who hate Linux, use Windows! Trying to persuade others not to use Linux because you do not like it is just hateful and ignorant.

I realize that the same can be said of Linux users trying to persuade users away from Windows, but broadening your choices is not hateful it is enlightening. Causing others to be close minded and limit their choices is just plane controlling and petty.

I also see many Windows only users say things like:
"why should I use a command line only OS?"
"you have to always use command line to compile your software"
or
"you have to always use command line to install your software"

All of you who make these claims, you do realize that you prove 1 of 2 things when you make statements like this:

1. You have absolutely no clue what you are saying, and are generally a moron spouting ignorant 10 year old complaints that have long since been addressed.

or

2. You are a lying troll looking for heated relpies.

In the case you are number 1, please try a recent distro like Fedora 13 or Ubuntu 10.04. You can use the LiveCD of either so you do not even have to install it! Just boot it right from the CD and when you are done just reboot and remove the CD to go back to Windows.

If you are number 2, you do realize that you are forever going to appear as number 1 above don't you?

Please get educated about "SOMETHING" and have a real debate so that you can at least appear to be a intelligent commenter.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
as much as I appreciate linux (who can't love free software?) I keep my computer and laptop with win 7
for some obscure reason ubuntu makes my laptop slower than a turtle carrying an elephant while win 7 makes it work like a breeze... there must be a reason, something I can configure to fix it... I won't spend countless hours on forums looking for it, though... my time is worth more than that, you know?
then there's the whole gaming aspect of it... I built my computer with games in mind so linux was never on my plans... I want buy any game, install it and play it, thanks a lot

I was hoping this was the great news [I think] everyone's been waiting for: that you can run games on linux natively... not that you can run windows under linux in order to play games
the day we see that happening, I'll be the first to ditch windows and jump to the linux bandwagon while I reel in all my friends whether they like it or not

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Windows doesn't recognise my Wireless adapter. It doesn't like my scanner unless I use hacked Vista drivers. My printer needs drivers that are buried somewhere in Windows Update that I can't access straight away. I first need to tell Windows to download all printer drivers. Maybe I should go on a rant about how Windows is not ready for the mainstream or how the year of the Windows desktop is not yet here.Moral of the story: hardware support is not universal for any operating system.[/citation]

But things usually work much easier in windows than linux. You may prefer using linux, but Win 7 is a solid and good OS, as is most of Microsoft's current software lineup (home and business). As for the Linux x Windows debate, they're both good plataforms and each have their advantages and should catter to their own audience.

And, altough there are good OSS software out there and I know this from experience (as I have worked with a lot of Unix plataforms, linux, Eclipse and I have a ton of FOSS on my machine that help on productivity), but depending on your application, vendor software is way ahead (Photoshop, Visual Studio, MS Office and some vendor Modelling tools are better than any OSS option I have found).

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Damn been waiting for this for ages. Now to source compile HAHAHAHAHA.

Might be MS behind this pushing for free DX11 so it can get more sales + beat OpenGl4 to death before it starts becoming major opposition.
Would explain why ATI stopped at CCC10.3 OpenGL4 beta and never bothered with OpenGl4 in later drivers.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
for those of you who don't know the history of DirectX. They pretty much cloned the code/concept from OPEN GL. However OpenGL didn't see any major updates through 2.1. But a few years ago OGL finally did a code update to get more performance and you now have open GL 3 (and i htink open gl4). So you can praise MS for DX all you want, but it was OPENGL that made DX work. It's just MS doing what they do best. Stealing someone elses work and making it work for Windows only.

I'll take open gl over direct x anyday. it gives you direct access to the rastor and used to get direct write calls to the video card (pre open gl 3)

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
:D and again ! I would say welcome back Ubuntu if I can play every game on it.. and good bye windows ! Linux is safer than you ! :D what else would someone ask for ?

randomizer

Champion

I'm pretty sure I know more about installing an OS than you do, especially if you've only done a next, next, next installation. My hardware is not obscure at all. The scanner is rather old, and the manufacturer no longer supports it. If I wasn't clued in on the fact that manufacturers need to provide support, I would blame Windows. Most people blame their OS when something goes wrong when the fault is elsewhere (case in point: Vista). My printer is a little dated as well, but it's not ancient. In both cases I am almost forced to upgrade for no reason other than the fact that support has been dropped. This is a huge issue with proprietary drivers, and not an issue at all with Free drivers. Closed-source drivers allow manufacturers to force you to spend more money. Free drivers can be perpetually maintained. In the case of ScoobyJooby-jew, his manufacturer has not released drivers for Linux. Once again support is not there. Is this a fault of the OS? No, it is the fault of the device manufacturer. But he was blaming the OS for something that can't be helped.

My wireless card is about 2 years old. It was not supported by Vista or Win 7 out of the box. It's a Realtek chipset which I think is rather odd because OOTB support is usually pretty good with Realtek. Heck it works on Linux OOTB! If 2 years old is now considered obscure and obsolete, we're all screwed.

I never said that Windows 7 isn't ready for the masses, you're making a strawman. However, what I will say is that the masses aren't ready for computers. Both Windows 7 and most Linux distros require the user to make some decisions and since most people are completely clueless about how their system works they make the wrong decision and break things. I can't speak for OSX as I have not used any recent version. Linux, at least, does not allow the user to make really, really dumb decisions without entering a password, and this means that they have a second or two to think about what they're doing, instead of clicking "yes" like an automaton to every prompt. One day MS might make Windows properly follow one of the most basic and oldest security principles in existence: Least User Access.

sparau

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
windows 7 stable? well sometimes, to me it appears about as stable as xp (it's my main system atm due to wifey requests)

last time i thought i had hardware issues (xp bsod repeatedly) i installed ubuntu and left it running for 47 days - no hardware issue there ! 4 years later and x,000 hours, 3 major upgrades (feisty - gutsy -etc etc) all working fine until really the hardware crapped out.

i ran vm's of 2003 server with sql and visual studio at the same speed (seemed like it) as natively under xp.

wine with warcraft - at times with faster frame rates than under xp.

people who say "it just doesnt do what i need", well hell i have no idea what you are wanting to do, games appears to me to be about the only thing.

oh - and linux saves money on reset switches... he he

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
This is great news for my notebooks, as I would rather install Ubuntu on those, however, I am quite happy with Windows 7. I'm not "eager" to uninstall it as soon as DX10/11 is ported there.

I'm all for the freedom of software. I think everyone would benefit. From my experience with Ubuntu, my opinion is, desktop usage is not happening for a while. All I can stand to do is use a web browser. I can't see the masses switching over.

I am willing to pay for good software. I would like to see less proprietary bs holding back software in the future. I don't care if it's linux or what name it's called by.

The good software out there has a lot of cash backing it. Thats where linux for desktop usage fails. What can you expect, when most of it costs nothing, and the people who made it get paid little or nothing.

randomizer

Champion

Well you can expect that it does exactly what the developers intended since most of the time it was originally written by them and for them. Proprietary software developers write software to make money, not to use it. Whether or not the software does what it is supposed to do in the most efficient way is irrelevant to them. I guess that's why proprietary software is generally so bloated. It isn't important to make the software lean.

Oh, and FWIW, most of the Linux kernel is written by paid developers. Applications are a mixed bunch but normally funded by donations.

lcsper

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Nah... I'm sticking to Win 7 and OSX, Linux seems unecessary to me. Besides, I can't run either Logic or ProTools on Linux so I can't do any work anyways so there really is no point.

randomizer

Champion

Of course there's no point. If you plan to switch OS then you should plan to switch applications. Do you try playing Xbox games on a PS3?

lcsper

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Wow man, chill. I just meant that it's useless to me because the softwares I need to do my work are not available on Linux. That isn't to say that Linux isn't necessary for others. In fact, one of my buddies owns a company that develops custom Linux distros. Still, it's nice to see someone is trying to push towards a "universal" platform.

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
...Finally, a mature Direct3D 10/11 implementation is intrinsically going to be faster and more reliable than an OpenGL implementation...

so this "everything should be free" (= property of FSF !!!) community always talk about how Windows and Microsft's products in general are "bad" and "buggy" and yet they are trying to use Direct3D?!

I hope the author of OpenGL Superbible read the last paragraph of this article! Even on Linux and through "Wine", Direct3D is superior to OpenGL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS