DirectDraw error

scarywoody

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi I run Win2K, and somewhere along the line I installed some betsa versions of DirectX. In my Dx Diag utility it says that I am running DirectX 8.1 and I now get a pop-up window everytime I open a new window that says "Beta DirecDraw has expired, Please update" any ideas how to fix that? I tired to install DirectX 8.0a and it didn't even phase it it still syas I got 8.1..... thanks for any help in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scarywoody on 09/01/01 09:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Hope we'll find the solution soon.
I do know that beta is a preview version. It’s more tester’s work, their life. Meaning that they should expect to find problems like bugs and crashes from the software. I Personally I stay away from betas and do not install them until maybe a month after the official release of the software. This allows the company to have feedback and responses from a large audience. Thus if there is anything wrong the patches will be available much sooner.

G

Had the same problem. Do a search on the net for DirectX 8.1 Build 620, which is the latest one, and that will take care of the error message. The final version should be out shortly.

scarywoody

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I found build 648, I'm not familiar with Microsoft's naming conventions but I think its the newest, shoud I try it? What the ehll it can't be any worse could it?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes it can.

i did a complete reinstall of win2k from the ground up specifically to avoid directx8

I'll respect your comments & opinions, even if i disagree with them, Provided you display maturity.

scarywoody

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I found two ways to fix the problem I was having. One was extrmely retarded but did the job. All I did was set my system clock back before 8-31-01 and the error went away, that was cool but now my system date was off. I could of lived with that, but I found that build above that I mentioned, I installed it and blamo no probs, my date is corect I get no more errors, and I even gained 20 points in 3D Mark2001, whoo whoo!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I had the same prob on my 98 system, I ended up downloading some directx uninstaller, worked fine, I read this exact same problem in another post somewere, but I cant remember where I downloaded it from so Im going to upload the program to <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">my site</A> when I get home (6 hours or so) Im not sure if it works on 2k, I'll put details on the site.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I found a fix for the DirectX 8.1 pop-up window at <http://www.tweak.dk/andre.php> .The download that works is "DirectX 8.1 Iterium 3 Win 2000 7.8mb 25/08-2001". I am getting better at installing win2k and the pop-up was so annoying I thought I would try it before another re-install. It worked and helped several game stability problems. I have had it working for about 3 days with no problems.