Question DirectX 12 issues

Nov 5, 2022
I'll start off with my current specs that matter for this question and issue...

5950x
64gb ram "3600"
1tb 980 pro nvme
aio cooled
asus strix 3090ti LC
1k EVGA 80+ gold PSU

Issue is this:
about a month ago, i updated my GPU driver on my "OLD 6900xt" GPU. when opening Edge browser, i noticed video glitches so bad it would flash off my screens for a second and come back on until i closed the browser out. i reinstalled and still to no glory had this issue. here is the issue i had with the 6900xt. via youtube.
View: https://youtu.be/MYmzUD7bHE8

If you look at the right screen you'll see edge flicker a little bit and then both my screens go dead for a second then come back..

well i seriously thought this was my gpu after self diagnosing and reinstalling everything. i returned this gpu and got the new current GPU.

A few weeks go by, zero issues at all nothing at all. not even a flicker. then it started happening again on the new WoW dragonflight pre-patch.

I noticed directx 12 was enabled by default. "after about 1hr of pondering why i took the 6900xt back and feeling guilty" i was like well that makes no sense it cant be that.
well, i changed from directx 12 to directx 11. IT FIXED IT!! no more issues in game, but still have issues with windows itself because of dx12.

If i screen record, these issues can't be seen. if i go live via twitch and these issues happen, it cant been seen but only by me.
i changed out DP cables to better ones, i made sure my PSU wasn't over or under volting. i checked my temps on everything. everything is acting perfect as long as the application is dx11 not dx12.

Motherboard, PSU or CPU is all i can think of... as the possibility of a truly broken gpu not rendering dx12 isn't possible twice in a row. but im not 100% sure.

i even "upgraded" from win 10 to 11 and didnt fix the issue. maybe a full reinstall will fix it, even though ive truly tried that with the old GPU.

i need some more expert advice why dx12 games and apps are messing with my GPU like this.

EDIT: I've posted a video of WoW in dx12 causing the gpu glitch and showing the right screen on OBS not showing the issue
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tAsZ6S5jRCc

Colif

Win 11 Master
If i screen record, these issues can't be seen. if i go live via twitch and these issues happen, it cant been seen but only by me.
That means its not the gpu causing it, its the monitor or cable - since you only person seeing it and it only shows on videos of the screen.

You swapped cables.

is the flicker always on same monitor?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022
That means its not the gpu causing it, its the monitor or cable - since you only person seeing it and it only shows on videos of the screen.

You swapped cables.

is the flicker always on same monitor?
its whatever screen i have said application or game on that is using directx12.

Both screens are the exact same. bought at the same time as well "10 months ago"

Both are hooked up via, DP cables.

i've tried a single screen plugged in for each. both causes the exact same dx12 issue.

i haven't tried hdmi on either of them but it would be very odd and very very rare both screens causing issues with dx12 and not dx11.

I do get where you're coming from, that only i can see the issue so it probably isn't hardware but i really think its PC hardware related.

I do have a new screen coming this week. i'll definitely test that one out with dx12. but im almost certain ill have the same issues.

Last edited: