DirectX 12 Preview Version Available For 'Deus Ex: Mankind Divided'

Status
Not open for further replies.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
directx 12, what a scam, it's there to waste the developers time / money
microsoft is notorious for forcing closed source / difficult API onto developers,

if you truly enjoy gaming you shouldn't support this API or games that offer this API period !

G

DX12 -> biggest scam ever and the only reason for it is to give something to people to make them upgrade to another scam called Win10.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
DX12 gives low level access so mobile dual core laptops and consoles can do more with less hardware. DX has pushed GPU graphics for decades, and when you guys finally have a alternative, you shit all over dx and disown it. You guys need to appreciate what DX has done for pc gaming. geez

dstarr3

Distinguished

Indeed. The only thing DX did for PC gaming was made it a thousand times easier to develop a game and have it work as intended on a wide variety of different PCs. Without DX, we'd still be in the dark days of PC gaming of 20-25 years ago where you'd buy a game, take it home, and just hope it works, because if it didn't, it never would.

Is Microsoft scummy? Obviously, yes. But the PC gaming world is much better with DX in it.

alextheblue

Distinguished

At least in the case of wifiburger he is a known anti-MS troll. He trolls almost all MS-related articles to bash them and it's always nonsensical ravings.

What model of Linux phone do you use, again? Cause if you're using SpyOS or Spydroid (see you can add spy to anything) you're in the same boat. Worse in the case of Google - 90% of their revenue is from "advertising" much of which comes from skimming your data. Regardless of device a lot of it is necessary for full operation of certain features, but they can often be disabled. You can kill it off in Windows if you feel it necessary.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Sigh...I wish they had added mGPU support in with this beta, because the 2nd 290x in my AMD system remains idle in DX12 mode for this game, so of course, its slower than using DX11.

Also, the hitches are still there, both of my 290x's have 8GB memory, so I should be able to use the max texture setting. Given that this game doesnt really have any "wow factor" type graphics, I'm forced to conclude its a pretty poor optimization job on PC.

Nicholas Steel

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
Doesn't DirectX 12 feature debugging layers you can insert in to your rendering code to help diagnose problems and then when everything looks like it is working correctly, remove the debugging layers? Where as Vulkan just doesn't have that, at all so fuck knows how you debug issues with Vulkan?

Kimonajane

Commendable
May 24, 2016
So did M$ get ahold of them and make the game DX12 require Winblows/I spy for my overlords the fascist FED 10 to run like they have done to another game I wont mention.

dstarr3

Distinguished
People shat on Microsoft when they had to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 to get DX11. Now they're shitting on Microsoft because they need to get rid of Windows 7 for DX12. Face it, people just will never be happy.

G

DX12 promised a lot and didn't show any improvements let alone broken MGPU support or better say they made it f. difficult to do so, developers won't even bother. Yes, DX is great but DX12 is a scam.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Old SLI/CFX mGPU rendering relied pretty much exclusively on AFR, which is really not so great. Both DX12 and Vulkan do support mGPU... in fact they support better and more flexible mGPU methods. You can still do AFR I believe, but there's more advanced methods too. Unfortunately they require the developers to actually put forth *effort*. Since something like 95% of their customers only use a single GPU anyway, many devs just aren't going to bother. It's hilarious that you're mad at MS for the actions of third parties.

But here's the thing... if DX12 and Vulkan weren't benefitting the devs and those users, they wouldn't be using the new APIs at all. I thought that was obvious but apparently not. Some devs are better than others at working with a low-level API at this point. But it's still optional, all these games that support DX12/Vulkan still support DX11 or OpenGL in these games. The newer low-level APIs are not mandatory yet and won't be for some time. If that lack mGPU rendering that's on the devs. But again it's work for them so in a lot of cases it won't happen, not until the big licensed engines support push-button mGPU rendering.

albert 89

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
DX12 offers triple the functionality of DX11 and most of it isn't so obvious. But if your an Nvidia owner then this functionality is a lot less, until you buy an AMD card. I'm also not a fan of DX12 patches for games. You'll only get 10% more performance then 90% if the game was re-engineered from the ground up.

BrownRecluse27

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Honestly I was never a big fan of win 8, I would have upgraded to windows 10 even without dx12, but I look forward to games that are built from the ground up for it.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"he newer low-level APIs are not mandatory yet and won't be for some time. If that lack mGPU rendering that's on the devs. But again it's work for them so in a lot of cases it won't happen, not until the big licensed engines support push-button mGPU rendering. "

Considering how Nvidia and AMD used to complain that game devs wouldnt even "flip the switch" to allow for simpler AFR in their games, I am really concerned that mGPU is going to be either a disaster or simply ignored for all except the most well funded PC-loving game devs using DX12.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"DX12 offers triple the functionality of DX11 and most of it isn't so obvious. But if your an Nvidia owner then this functionality is a lot less, until you buy an AMD card."

I disagree---AFAIK Pascal actually supports a higher level of DX12 than Fury/X, the difference being that AMD's drivers have been holding back their hardware for years, and DX12 now shows you the true power of GCN. Nvidia, OTOH have done great work optimizing their DX11 and lower driver stack for years, and thus probably wont see a huge increase in performance, unless the game in question has a really high level of draw calls or something similar.

I'm running a rooted, Cyanogen-installed phone without the Google Apps (I use FreeDroid to install my apks) on my phone, and Debian testing on my desktop. So yes, I can add "spy-" to many installs around me - but not mine. Heh.

G

For best gaming experience and overall system stability Windows 7 + Nvidia 1080 (or SLI) + DX11 is only way to go. DX12 felt short and it won't bring any benefits to the table. It helps AMD slightly but performance wise they still suck compared to Nvidia. Nvidia figured lower driver stack years ago therefore DX12 doesn't really bring much of difference for them. Visually, DX12 brings nothing new. Again, mgpu support is rather difficult to accomplish with DX12 and at the end consumers are going to lose a lot with. I am not bashing AMD cause i had AMD for years and then replaced r390x crossfire setup with single Nvidia 1080 and i will tell you this...AMD has a lot more to do and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.