" DirectX function. Get Device Removed Reason"

gabriel91

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
So today i took part in the Humble Bundle deal and downloaded BF3 so i was just getting online and playing with some of my buds when after maybe 5-10 minutes my BF3 crashed and i got this error message, " DirectX function "Get Device Removed Reason" failed with DXGI_Error_DEVICCE_HUNG: Device hung due to badly formed commands.. GPU:"Nvidia Geforce GTX 660", Driver 30142 " I have no idea what any of this means but i stopped playing after I got this message came up because I didnt want to hurt my pc which is an alienware x51 ( GTX 660 i7 3770). Please respond ASAP thanks in advance. If your advice is to scrap the Graphics card and buy a new case and graphics card then I would be willing to do that just please help.

Solution
i own an internet cafe in Greece and after few trials I strongly believe that it is related with the memory the graphic card has. I tried with 2 different 2GB GTX 650 ti and the problem appeared maximun 5 minutes after. When i install a 1GB version of the same card same brand i played 2-3 Hours without any problem.

KAIJER

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
A few questions:

Did you overclocked your CPU and GPU?

was it overclocked before or just underclocked to to see if that solve the issue?

Did you tried the beta graphics drivers-?

Please download the latest NVIDIA videocard physx driver
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.11.1107-driver.html

Go to your custom settings of your video-card software. Disable all extra options for enhanced graphics and set the preferences for AA and anisotropic to “use application settings”.
Set the BF3 graphic options to “low quality” or reduce AA and anisotropic filtering to a minimum.
Launch the game, if the issue is solved, you can try to set the graphic options higher.

That doesn't mean that you only could run BF3 in low spec. Sometimes, there might some special graphic setup what causing trouble with your hardware. Especially in combination with your graphic software, the NVIDIA control panel.

Sometimes, this issue can be related to the cloud storage.
Open your Origin client, click on “Show Game Details”. Then you go to the cloud button on BF3 and uncheck the “enable cloud storage for all games” box. Launch the game.
If that helped, you can try to enable the cloud storage after a restart; it might work after with the cloud storage function. Make sure to use the local data when the information box popping up.

Sometimes This problem occurs when "Ambient Occlusion" is disabled in the Nvidia Control Panel. If you disabled it within the NCP the Graphics Engine will report an error due to missing command sets. Just disable it in Battlefield 3 (Video Settings - Ambient Occlusion Off) or set it to "Performance" or "Quality" settings in the NPC.

dugas1000

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
i own an internet cafe in Greece and after few trials I strongly believe that it is related with the memory the graphic card has. I tried with 2 different 2GB GTX 650 ti and the problem appeared maximun 5 minutes after. When i install a 1GB version of the same card same brand i played 2-3 Hours without any problem.

Solution