DirectX Lies and The Fun Dies.

bravoghost

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
I swear I'm going to have a brain hemorrhage over this.

All I want to do is play games! I bought the Lenovo Y50-70 laptop exclusively to play games, and it has put me in a computer purgatory I would pay to get out of. I run Windows 8.1 (no Update 1, 2, or 3 since attempting to install them has resulted in repeated failures and I do not care enough to find a work-around for whatever error code I run into). I straight out refuse to install those updates since they compromise the stability of my system despite the security fixes, driver updates, etc. If I don't have an OS that even works, why worry about updating it?

When opening some games through Steam, they crash before they open. OK - no problem. I decide I'll go to the directory where the game is and open its application there. Various errors have cropped up saying I'm missing "xinput1_3.dll" or "xapofx1_5.dll", etc. The missing file depends on the game. I downloaded individual .dll files to replace the missing ones, and even when I did there was another file "missing".

I've searched and realized these all files have to do with DirectX. Forums have suggested downloading and re-installing DirectX. Ok - no problem. I'll go and download the DirectX installer (June 2010 Redistributable). I've tried both the web version (that replaces only missing files) and the standalone (which is supposed to be the full install). In either case, the installation fails and I get a message to check the DirectX log in System32. Ok - no problem. So I check there, and it tells me the issue is that all the files I'm trying to install HAVE ALREADY BEEN INSTALLED. So my game programs fail because DirectX is missing files, and the DirectX install fails because there are NO MISSING FILES. Is this Catch-22?! I'm losing my mind. Please, please help me. I'll do anything at this point. I dropped a bunch of cash on this machine to enjoy my free time and I spend it all digging through directories and trying to solve a problem A DECENT OS WOULD HAVE ALREADY SOLVED.

That's nearly a year old. I would hope that most of those issues have been fixed.

Every OS has its bugs, especially when released. I'm sure you could find similar issues about the update to 8.1 in the first place, or even 8's first release.

Did you try a fresh install? I suspect that all of your issues stem from some underlying issue.

bravoghost

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Indeed I did! I tried Win8.1 system refresh, system restore, Lenovo's OneKey program restore, and even purchased a USB system recovery that wiped the HD and re-installed Win8.1 fresh. I really, really worked on this.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
what games on steam are causing this to happen? as some of the older games will simply not run on windows 8.1 at all due to changes in how the files are written.

bravoghost

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
"some of the older games will simply not run on windows 8.1 at all due to changes in how the files are written." - which is in and of itself absurd. Curse you 8.1! But the games I play are pretty recent - Call of Juarez Gunslinger, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Injustice: Gods Among Us... It's definitely a failure somewhere in the interaction between the games and DirectX, though. The failures I see when trying to start up a game are consistently about DirectX.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

OK those are much newer games than what i was thinking. As it is an issue with games from before DirectX9 as backwards compatibility stops there. My advice now is to make sure nothing else is using DirectX inputs as DirectX only is usable by one program at a time now for some reason unsure why but shutting down the other program that is using it then launching your games should have it work.