DiRT 2: DirectX 11 Game Performance Compared And Analyzed

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyNine

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I think what you're noticing is the 'blurring' effect in Dx9 caused by what I think is half-resolution post-processing (although I'm getting clarification from the devs: might take a while with all the holidays going on)This results in a clarity in Dx11 mode compared to Dx 9 mode. But I'd be hard pressed to call Dx 11 'better', IMHO the half-resolution processing causes an anti-aliasing effect that doesn't hurt visual quality, just makes it different.Like you say though, it's subjective. But from what you've said I think you'd probably agree with me that there isn't a massive difference that would cause you to recommend waiting for a Dx 11 card to play the game.[/citation]

Yea the game looks good either way.

Question, do you guys take a screen shot with the in game screen shot function, or do you use a capture method that takes a after the frame has been sent out of the video card. Like something to intercept the image from the DVI cable? I remember reading something about the screenshots not capturing the same image as the final output, But Its hard to know just how much can change without a comparison.

I don't know if their would be a difference, But my camera just cannot get a good screen shot.

I've been really torn between DX9 and DX11 mode, to me DX11 looks better, but the lost FPS w/ Vsynk causes the game to hit 30 FPS, which to me is kinda choppy. However with Vsynk off I get way to much screen tearing but it runs at 45+. I've lowered the details in DX11 and found a nice balance but I'm left with running at 1680X1050 4xAA.

Anyways, I'm a very picky gamer and normally don't start playing/enjoying a game until I get it at optimal settings.

Q6600 @3ghz, 4gigs Ram, 5870.

brendonmc

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Nice article. I agree with most of it, especially the 'blurriness' in DX 9. However I strongly disagree with your conclusion that it is better to play this game in DX 9 mode when using a lower end DX11 capable card, given that this 'blurriness' is quite noticeable.
I have found that by turning the reflections setting to 'low' in DX 11 mode will increase the frame rate by almost 30 fps, which is pretty close to running it in DX 9. It does impact on the quality of the reflections on your own vehicle, but is not noticeable during gameplay.
I suspect that the code for the reflections is vastly different using DX11 and this is the reason for the degredation in performance. My suggestion is you should compare DX9 reflections vs DX11. I think you will then find significantly more differences than a few wrinkles on a flag.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]brendonmc[/nom]I suspect that the code for the reflections is vastly different using DX11 and this is the reason for the degredation in performance. My suggestion is you should compare DX9 reflections vs DX11. I think you will then find significantly more differences than a few wrinkles on a flag.[/citation]

Well, Codemasters supplied a list of things that they enhanced in Dx11 and those were the things we looked for.

I can't imagine they'd have put time and effort into other Dx11 effects and then avoid mentioning them in the list of Dx 11 enhancements.

Having said that, I did scrutinize the game aside from their list and I didn't notice anything except what i mentioned in the article.

brendonmc

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I stand corrected! Its seems turning down post processes has almost as much an impact on the frame rate as turning down reflections in DX11. At any rate, its a great game and playing in DX 9 certainly doesn't detract from the experience.
Thanks for a great article and sorry for my previous comments.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]h83[/nom]I could be wrong, but i think that the only game that will probably show the full potential of DX11 it´s going to be Crysis 2, so prepare your wallets for the PC upgrade...[/citation]

I'm sure Crysis 2 will go much easier on everyone's rig than its predecessor, seeing as how the game engine is scaled to run on consoles as well.

SlyNine

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Crysis could scale down to a console easy, if they ever decided to make it for it. In the lower modes it was not very taxing.

A lot of people think this but it doesn't really make sense. They will set the detail and graphic settings for the PS3 and 360 correctly for each respected console. They could also allow the PC version to run graphics much much higher at the same time with the same engine.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]Maybe we should add a button at the start of every review asking which company the reader is emotionally involved with so they can see the results they want.[/citation]
Yes please! Would remove a lot of the less useful talkback posts :)

Great article as always. You've looked at both burnout and dirt now - which is offering the most replayability? In grid I rather quickly found myself only driving single events on the stock car tracks as the rest felt a bit like repetition ... like the second half of nfs underground where difficulty was simply added by adding laps instead of ai skill.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]You've looked at both burnout and dirt now - which is offering the most replayability?[/citation]

I suspect anyone's answer to this relies more on the kind of game they like to play rather than the actual quality of the games themselves...

...having said that, for me, Burnout Paradise is far and away the best racing game I've ever played, bar none.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I suspect anyone's answer to this relies more on the kind of game they like to play rather than the actual quality of the games themselves......having said that, for me, Burnout Paradise is far and away the best racing game I've ever played, bar none.[/citation]

well depending on what you consider racing I'm with you or not on this one. Burnout's a great game, but testdrive unlimited isn't much worse, and if we assume all games where you control a car then I'd say the first carmageddon is my all time favorite (with 3dfx patch). It wasn't just well made, it was innovative as well. And flatout 2 along with insane are two of the most fun lan games imo.

Anyhow - for replayability dirt 2 isn't as good then I take it? Might skip that one then.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Anyhow - for replayability dirt 2 isn't as good then I take it? Might skip that one then.[/citation]

I'd say GRiD has better replayability than DiRT 2, for whatever that's worth. DiRT 2 seemed a bit dumbed-down compared to GRiD.

I've never been into Rally games though, my idea of a good racing game are the better Need for Speed titles of old, and Burnout. GRiD was one of the more serious titles that attracted me and kept me playing for a bit.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Try cross racing championship for a 'more serious' title that isn't so dead serious that you can't win. It's even playable by keyboard without crashing too much.

*old 2005 title

glenboarder99

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
The difference is basically unnoticeable[citation][nom]h83[/nom]I could be wrong, but i think that the only game that will probably show the full potential of DX11 it´s going to be Crysis 2, so prepare your wallets for the PC upgrade...[/citation]

Agreed completly

aaaayes

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
What have we learned from the buzz word first came out of DX10?

I still say no different than it is now...just a better mouse trap and there will always be a better one, we hope.

Oh, the promises is luring, and so as it was with DX10 back then.

Until there are games out there that is worth playing in my world of PC gaming, there is no justification to chase after the brass ring in my view...which, will change in later this year anyway.

The presentation of realism, benchmarks & the reward of ownership is offset by a promise to be utilize later in the year when the games catches up.

So what if you have a vehicle that can go 200mph+ but, your world currently is in the city streets...for now...with the promise of an autobahn is in the works, later this year.

Invest in the future? Buy it now at the premium prices?

Lets see what games comes out as the result of this card first, then lets evaluate the cost factor and see if this is such a wise investment...For now...if your happy enjoying the DX9 then do so...enjoy.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Win XP with DX11 or GTFO.[/citation]
would be like asking for fuel injection and compressor on a 1960s tractor! get rid of windows antique or gtfo

fragdude

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
sorry about the 2nd post,I am new to leaving my own point of view here,I would like to say I just wish that there was more good titles for the pc like there was back in the day thats all

rockinthepe

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
running a 5850. DX11 is pretty awesome. not too noticeable during the day, but night tracks and tracks with watery patches look outstanding. can't wait until until games like Bio-shock 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 come out to see how dx11 implementation is with FPS's.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I think it might be time for a followup story to this, as I'm running a 5750 and with the 10.3 Beta drivers, I'm getting 34.7 FPS average in the in-game benchmark with everything turned on max. Looks like some driver optimization etc. has made a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.