Disable fan warning on desktop video cards

PC-Cobbler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2015
I assume that all desktop graphics cards with fans have a warning in case the fan dies or is disconnected, but maybe that's not valid. Can this warning be disabled and is it saved between boots? Please list the manufacturer and model number with your answer. Thanks in advance.

Solution

None of graphics cards I ever owned would have such functionality. Cards ranging from early Geforce 3 to GTX 970 (couple of Radeons in the middle also).

USAFRet

Titan

Why would you want to disable a warning of a part that is actually broken and may/will affect the actual operation of your system?
(in the incredibly rare case of the fan dying)

mb have cpu fan failures if the fan spin or stop. it can be turned off in the bios. on some mb some oem dell and hp that feature is missing. with gpu the firmware at post checks the fans and then the drivers set the speed. most gpu if a fan fails if the gpu stays cool it run...if it gets to hot it throttle down. byt as the mod has posted you dont want to take that chance. there were some gpu that were recalled due to over heating parts.

PC-Cobbler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2015

This would involve a two-slot video card (not one with a double PCI plate, though) which had its fan, but not its heat sink, removed to fit into a single-slot, in a case with a fan blowing directly on the video card from the side. In other words, the fan function would move from the video card to the case. Then the fan could be much larger than the puny and noisy ones often seen on video cards (and be a quiet Noctua). And I always use 3-pin fans, not PWM ones, even on CPUs, so this fan would be turning faster than usual.

The other option would be to connect the case fan to the video card, which would avoid the issue entirely.

On a related subject, Arctic sells its Accelero S3, a fanless heat sink intended to replace ineffective coolers, though the Accelero S3 is huge and not relevant for my use case. I'm hardly the first person to think of this.

PC-Cobbler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah, I knew about motherboards having related functionality. Throttling-down would be okay, as I would have a fan blowing on the heat sink (see my other answer). I just wouldn't want warning messages every minute telling me that the fan wasn't running. I assume that messages might be sent to logs, but unless they ran every second or more frequently, it shouldn't be an issue.

PC-Cobbler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2015

Instead of leaving a snarky response, why not answer the question as to which video cards do or don't?

And I did write "but maybe that's not valid," which you neglected to quote.