[SOLVED] Disable intel integrated graphics

Oct 6, 2020
Please do not suggest the device manager

I am having trouble disable my integrated graphics on my computer, I enabled it but see no performance enhancements nor improvement to battery life and am unable to undo the bios change. The Graphics configuration is disabled in BIOS. I am running intel based asus ROG m15 GU502LV

Solution
I apologize if this is an overly simple suggestion, but I haven't seen it mentioned here yet.

Make sure that you have downloaded and installed the Nvidia control center. You should be able to set the 'Global settings' to easily direct the system to use the 2060 graphics card for all instances. If you change your mind and want to use the igpu for any particular programs you should be able to set the exceptions within the control panel as well.
I want to disable the integrated graphics because there are no performance benefits nor that of power saving and it’s causing the system to perform unstable.
It should have always automatically switched between them. It’s unlikely it has ever only used the gpu even if you didn’t previously notice it switching. If you are having stability issues let’s try to find the cause instead of trying to force the laptop to work in a way it wasn’t intended.

Oct 6, 2020
It should have always automatically switched between them. It’s unlikely it has ever only used the gpu even if you didn’t previously notice it switching. If you are having stability issues let’s try to find the cause instead of trying to force the laptop to work in a way it wasn’t intended.
This laptop was never intended to run on integrated graphics, it was solely running on the GPU alone, until I enabled integrated graphics , and now I am struggling to disable it once more as it was when I first got the computer.

Oct 6, 2020
Strange that you can enable bios but not disable!
Is your PC still unstable when plugged in?
The computer runs well on light loads but when heavy it only relieves on intel instead of nvidia. I’m trying to get rid of intel so I can run premiere, and games like it did before, solely on GPU. Leaving the CPU to solely work on general processing and not that of graphics.

The computer runs well on light loads but when heavy it only relieves on intel instead of nvidia. I’m trying to get rid of intel so I can run premiere, and games like it did before, solely on GPU. Leaving the CPU to solely work on general processing and not that of graphics.
Is your Windows power plan set to high performance and is the laptop plugged in? Are all drivers up to date? The igpu is a separate part of the cpu, using the dgpu does not directly impact what the cpu does.

Oct 6, 2020
Is your Windows power plan set to high performance and is the laptop plugged in? Are all drivers up to date? The igpu is a separate part of the cpu, using the dgpu does not directly impact what the cpu does.
I am trying to disable the Intel integrated GPU,because it’s not needed at all, I have an NVIDIA 2060 in the laptop. All it’s doing is slowing down my computer when the GPU can complete the process.
Strange that you can enable bios but not disable!
Is your PC still unstable when plugged in?
I am not wanting to tinker with the integrated intel GPU I simply want to disable it forever not using the device manager. It’s slow and not needed as I have a dedicated GPU.As the device manager will not complete the action.

Oct 6, 2020
I am trying to get rid of all integrated graphics, intel so that my computer solely uses the NVDIA GPU. I currently se two display adapters, Intel UHD and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060. I solely want to use the nvidia and get rid of all else to let the computer use on GPU.

The laptop is designed to use both and switch between them, you are trying to achieve something it may not be designed to do. If you cannot find an option in the BIOS that allows you to disable the igpu then I doubt it is possible. If the laptop isn’t switching over to the dgpu when it should then we can look at why that is. This could be the Windows power plan is setup not to use the dgpu or its setup to only use it when connected to the power supply. If it’s not this then ensuring drivers are up to date would be the next step.

Oct 6, 2020
The laptop is designed to use both and switch between them, you are trying to achieve something it may not be designed to do. If you cannot find an option in the BIOS that allows you to disable the igpu then I doubt it is possible. If the laptop isn’t switching over to the dgpu when it should then we can look at why that is. This could be the Windows power plan is setup not to use the dgpu or its setup to only use it when connected to the power supply. If it’s not this then ensuring drivers are up to date would be the next step.
This computer initially came with a single graphics processing unit as the soul graphics processing unit. It is what the computer was intended to do. I am trying to undo what I did when I accidentally enabled it integrated graphics.

This computer initially came with a single graphics processing unit as the soul graphics processing unit. It is what the computer was intended to do. I am trying to undo what I did when I accidentally enabled it integrated graphics.
Sorry but I believe you are mistaken and didn’t notice the igpu before. I have never seen a laptop with both igpu and dgpu come configured to only use the dgpu. It would be completely pointless to ignore the power saving ability of the igpu, when operating correctly there is zero performance loss by allowing the laptop to use both.

Oct 6, 2020
Sorry but I believe you are mistaken and didn’t notice the igpu before. I have never seen a laptop with both igpu and dgpu come configured to only use the dgpu. It would be completely pointless to ignore the power saving ability of the igpu, when operating correctly there is zero performance loss by allowing the laptop to use both.
The iGPU is now acting like it’s the only GPU, I am trying to disable the iGPU from showing up as a display driver and a GPU all together as it was when I “ didn’t notice” it’s existence.

Oct 6, 2020
If you are absolutely confident it’s was that way then try resetting the BIOS to default settings and either restoring Windows to a prior restore point when it performed that way or completely reset Windows.
I tried a Bios reset and it still shows intel as a primary GPU. Then premier runs off of it and slows down. Games run terribly now.

Oct 6, 2020
Per before unless there is an option to do this in the BIOS I doubt it’s possible. I feel you are asking the wrong question, I think the correct question is why is it not switching over to the dgpu when it should be. I can’t help further without the answers to those questions.
When I first got this computer it only had one graphics processing unit listed under the display ports. When I decided to do something stupid and don’t remember what it was suddenly the Intel GPU shows up. No the Intel GPU thinks it’s the only GPU on the computer. This is how the computer was previously set up, I tried a reset and to no availe and have no recover points.

this is what happened when I ran GPU benchmark test.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33837752

Sorry I can't help you,
To help yourself you may want to anwser the questions from people trying to help. Restating what you want over and over and reposting links do not help us understand exactly what we can do to help.
Post screen shots of your computer managment screen that shows both GPU's.
Tell us what drivers are installed ( with actual revisions etc...)

MattMMMan17

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
I apologize if this is an overly simple suggestion, but I haven't seen it mentioned here yet.

Make sure that you have downloaded and installed the Nvidia control center. You should be able to set the 'Global settings' to easily direct the system to use the 2060 graphics card for all instances. If you change your mind and want to use the igpu for any particular programs you should be able to set the exceptions within the control panel as well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts