[SOLVED] disable Jump to file/folder by pressing the first letter in its name

Feb 2, 2021
i have a new notebook running on windows 10 and every time i presse a key even when typing a google search for example it will exit the search bar and Jump to file/folder when pressing the first letter in its name, how do i disable that?

i have tried to disable keyboard shortcuts but that did not work.

Solution
have you tried uninstalling keyboard driver and seeing if it repairs them on startup?

Click the Windows "Start" button, right-click "Computer" and select "Manage" to open the Computer Management window. Select "Device Manager" from the pane on the left. Expand the Keyboards section, right-click on the keyboard you want to repair and choose "Uninstall." Click the Windows "Start" button and select "Restart." When your computer boots up, Windows will detect your keyboard and install the driver.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/repair-windows-keyboard-driver-46858.html

probably helps to only have standard keyboard attached when you restart.
Feb 2, 2021
i have a new notebook running on windows 7 and every time i presse a key even when typing a google search for example it will exit the search bar and Jump to file/folder when pressing the first letter in its name, how do i disable that?

i have tried to disable keyboard shortcuts but that did not work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
sounds like malware, have you tried running an anti virus scan or malwarbytes?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Feb 2, 2021
sounds like malware, have you tried running an anti virus scan or malwarbytes?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

i formated the pc before installing windows(tried both windows 7 and 10 (i am now on windows7)), but i still tried both your methods and the problem is still here.
i forgot to mention that this ONLY happens in search bars (not in notepad for example)

edit: i just noticed it only happens with the letter "d" and "i"; "d" is like pressing "tab" and "i" is like pressing "alt" it shows the drop down menu

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Feb 2, 2021
so the usb keyboard works fine; but i don't think there's anything wrong with the laptop keyboard since it works fine in a text editor,maybe some kind of hotkey option enabeld or a driver issue (i have tried to disable keyboard shortcuts but that did not work ).

Colif

Win 11 Master
try making this and boot off it and see if it has same problems with kb.

only drivers that run in safe mode are windows ones. So it would have to be a corrupted windows driver. which you would think would also affect the usb keybaord unless it has its own drivers

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried uninstalling keyboard driver and seeing if it repairs them on startup?

Click the Windows "Start" button, right-click "Computer" and select "Manage" to open the Computer Management window. Select "Device Manager" from the pane on the left. Expand the Keyboards section, right-click on the keyboard you want to repair and choose "Uninstall." Click the Windows "Start" button and select "Restart." When your computer boots up, Windows will detect your keyboard and install the driver.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/repair-windows-keyboard-driver-46858.html

probably helps to only have standard keyboard attached when you restart.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running this if you can
run command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

SFC fixes system files, it might help.

I don't know how to fix windows drivers. and the same thing happened in win 10 as well so i don't think this is windows.

what text editor does it work in?

if this was win 10 I would have a few more ways to fix this, including another command for the above fix. I have to watch myself as I forgot already.

Feb 2, 2021
the scan didn't work either, i also tried multiple other keyboard drivers but it's all the same.
also it turns out it also happens in text editors just with diffrent keys.

Feb 2, 2021
FINALLY figured it out, turns out it was the wrong driver since it was "ps/2 keyboard 101/102" so it was the wrong layout, so i found a driver "PS/2 keyboard 86" which was the right number of keys on the keyboard and it works great now.
thanks for all your help colif.