[SOLVED] Disable superfetch (sysmain) with SSD ?

Popikaify

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
I heard it slows down everything and causes stuttering in gaming,while some people say it should be enabled.Is there any official answer from microsoft or something ?

Should i keep it on or off with an SSD ?

Solution
The "Superfetch cache" it complains about is tiny - you can look at it in c:\windows\prefetch. A few minutes of web browsing generates more disk writes.

Whether you see a performance boost with Superfetch would depend on your usage patterns. System memory is still significantly faster than an SSD but depending on what apps you use it may not be noticeable at human time scales.
https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/105721-disabling-superfetch-services-when-using-ssd-good-idea.html#:~:text="If your computer uses a,improves system performance over time".

By default, Superfetch is designed to take up all your available RAM space with...

Colif

Win 11 Master
The "Superfetch cache" it complains about is tiny - you can look at it in c:\windows\prefetch. A few minutes of web browsing generates more disk writes.

Whether you see a performance boost with Superfetch would depend on your usage patterns. System memory is still significantly faster than an SSD but depending on what apps you use it may not be noticeable at human time scales.
https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/105721-disabling-superfetch-services-when-using-ssd-good-idea.html#:~:text="If your computer uses a,improves system performance over time".

By default, Superfetch is designed to take up all your available RAM space with preloaded apps. Don't worry: it only deals with unused memory. As soon as your system needs more RAM (e.g., to load an app that wasn't preloaded), it relinquishes the needed memory as necessary.

Note that Superfetch is not the same thing as Prefetch, the preloading memory manager introduced back in Windows XP. Superfetch is actually the successor to Prefetch. What's the difference? Prefetch did not analyze usage patterns over time and adjust its preloading parameters accordingly.

For the most part, Superfetch is useful. If you have a modern PC with average specs or better, Superfetch most likely runs so smoothly that you won't even notice it. There's a good chance Superfetch is already running on your system right now, and you didn't even know.

But there are some "problems" that can arise with Superfetch (SysMain):
  • Since Superfetch is always running in the background, the Superfetch service itself is always using some CPU and RAM.
  • Superfetch doesn't eliminate the need to load apps into RAM. Rather, it relocates the loading to an earlier time. Whenever that loading happens, your system still experiences the same slowdown as if you were launching the app without Superfetch.
  • System startup can be sluggish because Superfetch is preloading a bunch of data from your HDD to RAM. If your HDD runs at 100% for a few minutes every time you start or restart your computer, Superfetch could be the culprit.
  • The performance gains of Superfetch may be unnoticeable when Windows 10 is installed on an SSD. Since SSDs are so fast, you don't really need preloading.

I think it depends on PC, if you have an ssd or nvme the speed to load new programs is way faster than a hdd, so whether you need it or not is up to you. PC/CPU now far more capable than they were before when it was noticeable that some process was using a little more processing, I don't get point in turning it off as I doubt I notice the difference.

It would have fun filling my 32gb of ram up with the few programs I use each day. hmm, I have 20gb of free ram.

Superfetch reminds me of Fast Startup, another process on by default designed to speed up slower computers but being made redundant by ssd and NVME drives. I doubt you could tell difference between start up with it on or off loading off NVME on my PC. Storage reaction speeds aren't as fast as ram but the difference is getting smaller. ram writes at about 9k, fastest NVME now are around 5k

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 27, 2021
msc to open the Services Manager. Scroll down to SysMain (Superfetch) service, which is responsible for maintaining and improving the system performance over time. Double-click on it to open its Properties box. Click on Stop to stop the process.

ACES ETM

Last edited: