[SOLVED] Disabled all services on msconfig by accident, can’t login

Status
Not open for further replies.

silenthunt316

Prominent
Mar 12, 2020
I was looking at a thread to lower cpu usage. And it told me to disable all services, now I can’t put my pin, and my password is “incorrect” I’m stuck on the login screen

Solution
Buy a new OS drive and do a full, fresh install of Windows on the new drive (not any kind of "reset," actually having Windows 10 media and booting directly to it). Then put your old drive into the PC as a non-boot drive and manually recover your files from the directories.

If you have a second PC, you can recover the files from the drive, by installing as a non-boot drive or by USB using an external enclosure.

Important files should be backed up multiple places 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Your data's existence was always on the edge of oblivion if you didn't properly back things up and certainly was when you decided to tinker with your PC for some reason. You should never be changing any Windows setting unless you...
This is when you break out all of your CD/DVD/Floppys, etc. and reinstall Windows and all applications from scratch. You then restore your latest backup of personal files (you DO have a backup, yes?). And in the future do not blindly follow some post/video/whatever without fully understanding what, exactly, it does, and how to mitigate any issues.

silenthunt316

Prominent
Mar 12, 2020
I tried resetting the pc and reinstalling, and it says an error occurred. I have restore points but I don’t have backups. Not that I know of. I tried going back to a restore point and nothing

DSzymborski

Titan
Buy a new OS drive and do a full, fresh install of Windows on the new drive (not any kind of "reset," actually having Windows 10 media and booting directly to it). Then put your old drive into the PC as a non-boot drive and manually recover your files from the directories.

If you have a second PC, you can recover the files from the drive, by installing as a non-boot drive or by USB using an external enclosure.

Important files should be backed up multiple places 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Your data's existence was always on the edge of oblivion if you didn't properly back things up and certainly was when you decided to tinker with your PC for some reason. You should never be changing any Windows setting unless you know exactly what the settings do and don't do.

Reactions: wpgwpg
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.