Disabled Dimm Slots

digitek

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Hi guys,

I have a workstation XP64 with a S5000XVN mobo with 4 GB of samsung memory (DDR2-667). Recently I bought an extra 2GB but it came as Hynix (all with the same spec as the older stuff).

The problem I am having is that whichever spare Dimm slot I put the new Hynix memory in, that slot becomes 'Disabled' and obviously is being recognized by my system.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is it wise to use different makes of memory even though its the same spec? Or should I just stick to Samsung memory?

I've tried searching the Internet fro an answer but as yet I have come up with nothing.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Mondoman

Splendid
Are you sure your new RAM is fully-buffered (FB) DDR2 (for servers), not the common unbuffered DDR2 for consumer MBs? The unbuffered stuff won't work in your system. You may also have to have ECC modules, but I'm not sure on that.

2flow

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
is your 4GB samsung a single module or is it 2. It could be that your 2X2GB are running in dual channel mode. Your addition would make 3x2GB. Therefore can no longer run in dual channel mode, thereby disabling the 3rd module. If this is the case, try to relocate your original memory pair, in such a way that the system will run single channel mode therefore you would be running all three memory sticks in single channel configuration.

digitek

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for your replies.

Looks like my memory was the right sort for my comp after all, just a dodgy batch which was sent to me.

I sent it back and had some new modules, they work perfectly.

Not so much of an amateur after all ;)