Disabling a APU graphics

Fullup77

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Hello!
I recently bought a AMD 5800K Trinity quad core APU. I was wondering if there was some sort of way to disable the built in GPU on the CPU, and if there is a way how.
Any help will be appreciated.

Fullup77

SubjectOmega

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
I had to do something similar for a friend a while ago, but the integrated GPU was part of his motherboard. Is that what you meant? Because if you have a dedicated GPU your CPU will automatically switch to it when you plug your monitor into the card.

Fullup77

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response and no, the graphics card comes built into the CPU. Its a new series from AMD that comes with GPUs combined into a CPU core. I have 2 independent graphic cards both are not bult in. Hope that clears up some confusion.

Fullur77

In Bios there is a section where you can boot to discrete and disable the iGPU, depending on the motherboard the options are titled differently but essentially the same thing.

Normally your graphics output is set to auto, change it to discrete and your iGPU should be switched off, alternatively with Asrock a hidden bios option will appear which you can switch of the iGPU completely.

dev893

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

iGPU are intel for amd they are called APU'S but does this optiom only appear when a dedicated GPU is installed cause i have not seen any option like that

to disable the iGPU you need a discrete in first or you will have no render output. When I had an ASRock FM2 A85X there was a tab in BiOS which related to IGPU/ Dual Graphics, allowed you to disable the iGPU when a discrete card was added or to enable dual graphics support when a supporting DGPU was added, alternatively adjust the memory buffer for the iGPU and its link interface from ilink to dlink depending on your output device. Every motherboard that I know of has this tab normally in the advanced section.

TRENDING THREADS