Question Disabling a damaged delete key on built-in keyboard

nihaalrk

Honorable
Mar 4, 2014
Recently I spilled water on the top right portion of my laptop's keyboard, I did my best to clean it up but currently the Delete key is broken. It would be fine if the key simply didn't work, but instead it's essentially stuck on being constantly pressed. So, if I have my laptop's keyboard enabled, I can't do a lot of things such as opening files (they get immediately sent to the recycling bin) or typing in text documents. I'm confident that the delete key is constantly being pressed because if I type text and move my cursor to the beginning, I can watch the text get deleted character by character.

I'm currently able to use my laptop by disabling the built-in keyboard and using an external one. I tried a few different ways of disabling the built-in keyboard, the only way that worked was going into the device manager and installing an incompatible driver for the built-in keyboard. I'm able to manage with my current setup but it's becoming quite annoying to have to rely on an external keyboard as a student who needs to go to classes and whatnot. Since the only problematic key is the Delete key, I've tried installing software (such as Simple Disable Key), but that hasn't worked. I've also tried messing with the Registry Editor to disable a singular key with no success. Given that the only way I've modified the built-in keyboard so far was through driver manipulation, I'm wondering if that's the only way to do it. I have no experience with working with custom hardware drivers so I have no idea if it's feasible to create a driver that is just a copy of the standard one, but disables the delete key.

Would it be feasible to make a custom driver (and how would I do that?), or are there other things I should try? I feel like it's possible to disable the key through physical means by taking off the keycap and pulling things apart, but that seems like it should be a last resort since it would be irreversible.