[SOLVED] Disabling a SSD

jamespromiii

Honorable
Dec 23, 2018
Hey I just got a new laptop (MSI Tuf A15) and it has a nvme drive with an OS on it already, now I transfered my original HDD data to a new SSD but for some reason I can't set the original SSD in bios, any idea what's going on?

Solution
So basically what you're saying is that nvme is tied to the laptop and I'm not able to boot from a different drive? If so that's ridiculous, what happens when i finally do upgrade my drive?

As far asapps and personal files....yes, I have over 150 gig of data that I really don't want to redownload. I have access to the drive when I boot it up but some of the apps aren't functioning right because I can't boot from that drive.
No, its not that the NVMe is tied to the laptop, but rather the old OS is (mostly) tied to that original system.
Windows is not as modular as we'd all like it to be. Moving that to a whole different system often fails, as you're seeing.

"what happens when i finally do upgrade my drive?"
That is NO problem...

jamespromiii

Honorable
Dec 23, 2018
Your board don't supports memory overclocking.. you will be limited to CPU rated Memory speed... Max to max 3000mhz
You imported this 2.5" drive from some other system, and wish to use it as the boot drive?
And there is already an OS on the original NVMe drive?
Yes this, I was thinking just pulling the nvme out altogether but I'd like to keep it in with the added storage. This was a brand new purchase so the OS came preloaded on it.

USAFRet

Titan
The transplanted one. It shows up in the bios but won't let me set it as a boot and won't let me select it as a new boot option.

Bios 1
Bios 2
WHY are you trying to use a drive from a different system, as the boot drive in a new PC that already has the OS installed on an NVMe drive?

This is highly unlikely to actually work. Especially going into a laptop.

Reactions: jamespromiii

jamespromiii

Honorable
Dec 23, 2018
Because that transplanted drive has all my files installed on it and since the nvme isn't large enough to transfer to it AND I don't know how to transfer to an nvme anyways, is it the same way as transferring to a SSD or HDD? Oh yeah I can't afford a 1 tb nvme drive either.

USAFRet

Titan
Because that transplanted drive has all my files installed on it and since the nvme isn't large enough to transfer to it AND I don't know how to transfer to an nvme anyways, is it the same way as transferring to a SSD or HDD? Oh yeah I can't afford a 1 tb nvme drive either.
What "files"? Just personal stuff?

You can't use this other drive in the laptop. Either the actual drive, or a clone of it.

The laptop has its own OS and license.
Copy your personal files, sure.
Applications and the OS? No, nand you don't want to.

jamespromiii

Honorable
Dec 23, 2018
What "files"? Just personal stuff?

You can't use this other drive in the laptop. Either the actual drive, or a clone of it.

The laptop has its own OS and license.
Copy your personal files, sure.
Applications and the OS? No, nand you don't want to.
So basically what you're saying is that nvme is tied to the laptop and I'm not able to boot from a different drive? If so that's ridiculous, what happens when i finally do upgrade my drive?

As far asapps and personal files....yes, I have over 150 gig of data that I really don't want to redownload. I have access to the drive when I boot it up but some of the apps aren't functioning right because I can't boot from that drive.

rgd1101

Don't

no. we are saying because the old system is different, you can't boot from it.

I can but some of the apps aren't functioning right for some reason.
you can't just run it from the new os. reinstall the apps

USAFRet

Titan

No, its not that the NVMe is tied to the laptop, but rather the old OS is (mostly) tied to that original system.
Windows is not as modular as we'd all like it to be. Moving that to a whole different system often fails, as you're seeing.

"what happens when i finally do upgrade my drive?"
That is NO problem. You do a clean install on the new drive, or you do a clone operation from the old drive to the new. In the same system.

"I have over 150 gig of data that I really don't want to redownload. "
Your personal files can be copied between the two system no problems.
Applications cannot.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: jamespromiii