Question Disabling Hyperthreading Fixed My multiple BSOD, is this the expected result?

May 7, 2023
I'm running an Intel i5 11400F 2.60 GHZ 6 core, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1660 super on Windows 11.

For months, all of my games and applications would crash and often give me BSOD and force restart. New games, old games, Steam games, EA games. I had tried many troubleshooting steps (update drivers, change GPU settings, clean install windows, use CPU z to test my memory , there were no errors) and nothing helped.

Today I turned of hyperthreading. With hyperthreading the core speed was i believe ~4.2 MHz. With hyperthreading disabled, it now runs around ~2.5MHz.

Since doing this, all of my games and applications run smoothly and there have not yet been any crashes.

Could disabling hyperthreading and lowering my core speed be the fix? Can overclocking cause systemwide instability over a myriad of programs? These issues have been persisting for months and I'm hoping this is the fix that will stick. Thanks in advance for any input.

Normally hyperthreading does not cause system stability issues. While overclocking can cause issues, the operating speed (which I'm assuming you of course meant GHz and not MHz) is still within the spec.

Assuming the cooling on the CPU is fine, this could be the one extremely rare occasion where you have a defective CPU. Though for the record, listing the rest of your specs may point to other potential problems.

Today I turned of hyperthreading. With hyperthreading the core speed was i believe ~4.2 MHz. With hyperthreading disabled, it now runs around ~2.5MHz.
You turned off something...but it wasn't hyperthreading, or at least not just that.
4.2 should be an ok speed for that CPU and it should not have to run on 2.5 to be stable.

My guess would be that memory O/C was turned on and wasn't very stable and that your issue had nothing to do with Hyperthreading or the clocks.
Or your power supply isn't strong enough to handle both your GPU and your CPU at high clocks at once.