Question Disabling a non-functioning 50/60hz mod switch on an NTSC-U/C Sega Saturn ?

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I recently purchased a used as is Sega Saturn NTSC-U/C console. Upon inspection there is a round hole cut in the back of the top part of the console itself and a small metal switch. It appears the switch itself was broken off in shipping as the box it came in was actually too small and the switch itself was lying in the bottom of the box.

So I hooked it up and turned it on. It is sending some sort of signal as my TV confirms, but it is just another shade of dark if that makes sense. The access light continues to flash, but if I install a game it will spin, but never load and the access light does not come on at all.

My guess is that the mod switch failed and it's caught between the 50/60hz??? I don't know. I do not currently have any soldering skills, but am working towards it. I am going to disassemble the unit and try to snip the wires as close to the motherboard as I can, and remove the mod. I did this before on an original PlayStation. I realize the Saturn is a bit different of course, but in theory will this possibly work? Of course if the mod switch is not the problem or if it is not the only one than I realize the answer is no. I have heard that the PLL chip is another possible problem as well, and if that's it then it's all over.

Anyway thank you for reading, and I appreciate any help.