Question Windows 11 will not detect M.2 drive on cold start

Jul 3, 2024
I bought an M.2 drive a while ago for my computer and after a while after I bought it it would not be detected on a cold start. However, after restarting my computer, it would almost always be automatically detected. I have had this issue both booting off of an HDD and SSD. Any ideas on what might be going on would be appreciated!

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II
M.2 NVMe: WD_Black SN850 500GB

Jul 3, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v3.1.pdf
Your manual states SATA ports 5 and 6 will be disabled if you have an M.2 drive on the slot.
Thanks! This has been a bit of an annoyance, especially when I was booting off an HDD so I figured I might as well try and see what is up. This is what shows under the BIOS version when checking in Windows:

H.81, 5/24/2022

And that is when I got this motherboard new as well. Additionally Fast Boot is not enabled on this computer as I have the option to load into the BIOS every time I start it up.

Thanks! This has been a bit of an annoyance, especially when I was booting off an HDD so I figured I might as well try and see what is up. This is what shows under the BIOS version when checking in Windows:

H.81, 5/24/2022

And that is when I got this motherboard new as well. Additionally Fast Boot is not enabled on this computer as I have the option to load into the BIOS every time I start it up.
Update the bios.....test.