Disadvantages of used monitors, should I buy one?

rainfallsnk

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
I'm looking to buy a used monitor, my current one is 18.5 inches, but I need a slightly bigger one for multiple reasons, around 22-24 inches.
And because of the fact that I can find really good deals on used monitors, I can basically quickly sell my current one and pay another 30$ to get a 22 inch. Basically pay half the price of a new one.

The question is, do the colors get worse with time and is there going to be a noticeable difference between a new monitor and a slightly used one(I'll be looking for monitors that are a year old at most)? I've been using the same monitor for 5+ years, when I put it next to a new monitor I can't really notice a difference.Is this the norm or do monitors actually deteriorate with time?
And also what should I be looking to avoid in a used monitor, apart from the obvious dead pixels?

Thanks.

cursedqt

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
Well it depends.First of all do your homework on the monitor you like.Put it under the microscope and finally always have your doubts if and buts about the monitor.AFter all you are spending money.

Anyway the problem with used stuff in general is that 50% of the time you have no idea what you are really buying.It might work today but might not tomorrow.

USAFRet

Titan
Only buy a used monitor if you can see it in operation, in person first. I've had a couple with stuck pixels, or 'bruise' marks. I only bought them because it was so cheap, or a freebie included with something else.

('So cheap' = $75 for 2x 21" Planar LCD monitors, 6 or 7 years ago)

Like most things it all depends on how the monitor was cared for. I've bought used monitors that lasted a week. Others are stalwart daily drivers that I can depend on. Bit of a craps shoot. The usual worries, no warranty, no guaranty it will last but I've bought a number of monitors from thrift stores with success, and of course some failures.

In terms of picture quality degradation, that's hit or miss as well. Certainly some monitors may experience some degradation or pixel loss.