Question Disappearing text and games crashes, can’t install GeForce Experience either

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I’m trying to help my friend who bought a pre-owned computer. The last owner said he had some problem installing GeForce Experience and sometimes drivers so he sold it cheap for 500$.

We thought it would be an easy fix but turns out we were wrong.

Nothing wrong when you stay in BIOS so I have a feeling that the problem is software related. Original the computer came with Windows 11, but I changed it to windows 10 to see if it would fix the problem. It didn’t

The problem is: Disappearing text in some apps like MSI afterburner, programs closes themselves, can’t start games (sometimes it gives me a runtime 217 error). Can’t install epic games (just says error) and steam won’t connect to the internet after I start up the computer.

I have checked all the cables, replugged the GPU, updated bios, made a factory reset from USB and tried with another HDD. Used a ddu and installed drivers from safe boot after a factory reset.

But the problem still exists

Specs: Asus Rtx 2070 Dual 8GB

Ryzen 7 2700x

16GB 2666MHz RAM

Corsair TX750M

Asus TUF B450M-PRO S

Colif

Win 11 Master
Probably helps to set CPU/Ram to default voltages before installing.

it is just loading, then it said something went wrong so I get to choose if I want to restart the computer or choose advanced start alternatives

choose advanced options
think it loads into a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
choose which ever you like, keep files is probably faster than full reset.

PC will restart and put windows back on...

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if it would make sense to run Prime 95 bootable version on the PC before installing win 10 again and try to get a stable voltage it doesn't crash on

Prime 95 Bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

You might want to do it on the ssd?

Which ever you use, turn this off after installing windows 10 to potentially avoid same boot problem again - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html - it helps hdd but it doesn't make any difference on ssd so don't need this on anyway.

Colif

Win 11 Master
One reset is probably enough.

Is it still cycling between choices?
that repair menu should show after every 3rd failed boot. So it should show back up since default in CSM in bios is auto, its just a matter of time.

It might be more effective to run Prime on PC now and get voltages right before fixing windows.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Is it still cycling between choices?
that repair menu should show after every 3rd failed boot. So it should show back up since default in CSM in bios is auto, its just a matter of time.

No, that cycling mostly came when I raised the voltage on the CPU. Then when I chose “save and exit” the computer got stuck on boot menu and failed

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have a win 10 installer?

does it show bios flash screen?

put Win 10 installer into a USB slot
in bios, go to bios/advanced view/boot tab
scroll down and choose Boot Override
pick the USB from the list, PC will restart and boot from USB

reinstall win 10

Or Run bootable Prime 95 using Boot override.

I don't know if the voltage increase on CPU caused windows to not work or just all the restarts.

PC is unstable. It might be the PSU or we might be able to fix it adjusting voltages. Might be bad ram... I don't like might be.
Might be CPU.

too many maybes

its almost 5.00am here, I need to sleep. Will look in here in um.. 7 hours or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Onkel18

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
What is PC doing now?

I raised the Voltage on the ram by 10 mV and ran a blend test just to see If something happened. But I’m going to boot reinstall windows now. Then start it up with no internet and install drivers.

Now when i tried to install windows on the SSD it said “Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows, restart the installation”. But I tried and the same thing pops up

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
passes memtest, fails prime... i see it could still be ram.
example = link
try running Prime with just 1 stick in

could be bad ram still.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
try running Prime with just 1 stick in

could be bad ram still.

I have a set of new RAM that I bought today. I thought if it doesn’t solve the problem, I could just easily return them. They said it would be okay

I’ll plug them in and run a Large FFT to see if something happens

but I think that the problem lays elsewhere, because I plugged the new RAM in earlier today and I still had all these problem that i had before

Colif

Win 11 Master
what ram did you buy?

Ryzen CPU can be picky about ram.
If its not been tested with MB or CPU, it can still cause problems. Is it on this list?
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...-QVL_For_AMD_Ryzen_2000_Series_Processors.pdf

some makers like corsair also check their ram with boards with cpu and mb combo but they only checked MB for your combo.

but I think that the problem lays elsewhere, because I plugged the new RAM in earlier today and I still had all these problem that i had before
which ones? in windows... that install is/was probably corrupt as it was running on that system.

I was going wasn't i... um, I look here later... closes browser.

Colif

Win 11 Master
More awake now...
what problems?

Prime errors or just errors?
If it still fails prime, it could be the PSU or CPU or possibly even Motherboard since everything runs on it. I don't recommend throwing money at it to solve it, outside of getting a repair shop to look at it.

if its just windows errors, could just be a corrupted install.

No point putting windows on again until it passes Prime.
Need to see if adding voltage to CPU helps at all.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I ran a Prime test with the new Ram for like 1-2 hours and no errors showed up! But the computer froze some times for a couple of seconds when I was interacting with programs and there were some graphical glitches like flickering etc!

Colif

Win 11 Master
is this a clean install? is BIOS at default settings or is there a voltage boost on anything? if at defaults, might need to boost CPU still by 1 increment.

It might be CPU is to blame. its hard to say, Prime is only test we have for AMD CPU and so far every other Prime test seems to fail.

It might not have been the ram since you still get some errors. That or there is more than one thing at fault.

There is only so much you can do with software tests. repair shops can swap known working parts in and see if they fix problems. Most of us don't have spares lying around.

Corsair TX-M PSU aren't bad PSU so at least its not a cheap model, I just thought I would check- http://www.jongerow.com/Corsair_PSU_hierarchy/index.html

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Like i mentioned before:

When I tried to install windows on the SSD it said “Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows, restart the installation”. I tried again and the same thing pops up!

After that, I restarted the computer and a repair screen came on, I walked away and gave it some time, then It booted up windows configuration (like when you start a new computer)

I chose name, password etc but I had disconnected the Ethernet cable so when I logged in, the computer has no drivers. I installed drivers through a USB but the glitches etc were still there

My other friend has a Corsair psu laying around( I think it’s 650w), if that’s the case I’m going to get it after work and see if it’s makes any difference

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I’m home from work now, and tried voltage override for the CPU. I raised it with the smallest amount possible. And then when the computer restarts, after boot screen the screen just goes black. And my monitor says that it doesn’t recognize any source.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Can try an undervolt, see if that helps cause that sounds it's already on the limit.

I tried with a Voltage Offset and raised it the smallest amount as I could. Then the computer started but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it uses the extra volt right? Isn’t offset that you just give it permission to use more V in case it needs it?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
A voltage offset should in this case also be lower. There is also the Vcore (with Asus in your case VDDCR) itself that might be good to lower that abit, like 0.5V and set a fixed value for that, see if it helps, can keep lowering with 0.5V till you get instabel, but have seen a review on Ryzen 3000 where it starts to negatively impact performance when going to low, might want to stop at 1.25V for instance.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3494-amd-ryzen-3000-undervolting-offset-override
A voltage offset is for making sure that voltage asked and voltage actually given are the same.

also maybe usefull,
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e/index.html&usg=AOvVaw09gxsyJR9udOe4oDiPtCXL
but use this to lower the VDDCR/Vcore, alot of settings explained in here which can be used to lower Vcore for instance.