Question Disappearing text and games crashes, can’t install GeForce Experience either

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I’m trying to help my friend who bought a pre-owned computer. The last owner said he had some problem installing GeForce Experience and sometimes drivers so he sold it cheap for 500$.

We thought it would be an easy fix but turns out we were wrong.

Nothing wrong when you stay in BIOS so I have a feeling that the problem is software related. Original the computer came with Windows 11, but I changed it to windows 10 to see if it would fix the problem. It didn’t

The problem is: Disappearing text in some apps like MSI afterburner, programs closes themselves, can’t start games (sometimes it gives me a runtime 217 error). Can’t install epic games (just says error) and steam won’t connect to the internet after I start up the computer.

I have checked all the cables, replugged the GPU, updated bios, made a factory reset from USB and tried with another HDD. Used a ddu and installed drivers from safe boot after a factory reset.

But the problem still exists

Specs: Asus Rtx 2070 Dual 8GB

Ryzen 7 2700x

16GB 2666MHz RAM

Corsair TX750M

Asus TUF B450M-PRO S

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I switched to manual in bios, and chose voltage override for the VDDCR. I lowered it with the lowest amount possible from 1.2 to 1.975 and when I try to boot after that, the computer just says “preparing automatic repair” and gets stuck

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I have tried negative offset, but that didn’t make any difference what I could tell. I will try higher voltage when I come home. I doubt it will work, but I’ll give it a chance! :)

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I went into bios and did a voltage override with 1.35. The computer booted and it said “checking disks, to skip press any button”

When I logged in, the same problems like glitches and programs crashing without errors still exists :/

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Any closer to working out which part is to blame?

what would you suggest Vic?

No, but I’m going to borrow a friends motherboard tomorrow so see if that’s makes any difference.

I tried to launch a game earlier today after the computer said “checking disks, to skip press any button” on boot. The game started and stayed open for surprisingly long, had some flickering then just closed without warning or error code. So maybe just a coincidence

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I have now tested the GPU in my friends computer, and no glitches or artifacts showed up at all. Not in windows and I could start games without problems! So maybe it narrows it down to the CPU?

i could only bring my gpu to another computer :/
Either its the CPU or its driver issues from the install on your computer. You can use a program called DDU to uninstall your current drivers in safemode. Then restart without internet access so windows doesn't auto install bad drivers for the gpu and install predownloaded, up to date, drivers manually from Nvidia.

There are many great resources on how to use DDU and this is one from our forums https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
Either its the CPU or its driver issues from the install on your computer. You can use a program called DDU to uninstall your current drivers in safemode. Then restart without internet access so windows doesn't auto install bad drivers for the gpu and install predownloaded, up to date, drivers manually from Nvidia.

There are many great resources on how to use DDU and this is one from our forums https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I have tried it before without success, but I tried it today again after you mentioned it just to be sure. So I did as you said in the comment but it didn’t fix the problem :/.

Text still disappear, artifacts etc

Colif

Win 11 Master
Really good chance its CPU but one way to test is if you get any errors using an Ubuntu live USB
just run off the USB, see if you get any errors.

Downside to test is linux can run off a potato so it doesn't stress hardware as much as windows so it might work fine.

worth a look.

Reactions: helper800
I have tried it before without success, but I tried it today again after you mentioned it just to be sure. So I did as you said in the comment but it didn’t fix the problem :/.

Text still disappear, artifacts etc
CPU defects are quite rare, but you do see it every once and a while. I would try remounting the CPU before assuming its a defect and not bad contact with the pins due to uneven CPU cooler mounting pressure.

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
did you look at the pins of the CPU to see if any bent?

CPU defects are quite rare, but you do see it every once and a while. I would try remounting the CPU before assuming its a defect and not bad contact with the pins due to uneven CPU cooler mounting pressure.

Yes! I re-mounted the cpu once with the old motherboard and with the new one to see if there were any physical damage/bent pins to it. And I checked the socket as well. But it looked alright!

Onkel18

Prominent
Oct 12, 2022
I would surmise its a CPU defect then. Could try to RMA your chip.

Yeah probably, I could run a Unigine Heaven benchmark yesterday without problem and without artifacts. Doesn’t that benchmark focus on the GPU and almost nothing on the cpu? Maybe that proves something? I don’t know