[SOLVED] Disappointed at 3080 performance

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hmm now i'm bit disappointed at 3080's performance.. (well not that it really matters cos i don't game much)

According to Gamers Nexus review, 3080 FE is overall 20.9% faster than Asus 2080Ti Strix or 24.3% faster @ 1440p. (13.1%/24.3%/25.4% faster @ 1080p/1440p/4K).
But according to Bitwit review, 3080 FE is overall 16.2% faster than Gigabyte 2080Ti Aorus or 15.3% faster @ 1440p. (11.8%/15.3%/21.6% faster @ 1080p/1440p/4K).

Not sure why there's so much performance difference between the two reviewers especially @ 1440p(only res I care about), +24.3%(Gamers Nexus) vs +15.3%(Bitwit).
But if Bitwit is right then 3080's only gonna be ~10% faster than my 2080Ti.. i.e. unnoticeable except on bench.

Gamers Nexus =
Bitwit =

p.s. if you have 3080, can you please run Superposition bench at stock settings? thanks

Solution
as i said, there are so many variables to how it performs, a different system of course is going to have different numbers. see if you can find something close to your actual system and that should help see where you might be. but again you WILL NEVER match what you see in any review. you may be higher or lower.

you can either enjoy the card with some fun gaming or you can spend all your time trying to figure ut why someone else got 2 extra fps than you. in my opinion one of these options is more fun than the other :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
everyone uses something different to benchmark with. different game, settings, hardware and so on will effect the numbers. in the end any single one is not worth taking as the absolute gospel but rather look at a bunch of different reviews and mentally average them. this is a good idea of what you can expect. but again your system will differ in many ways and will NEVER match what anyone else manages.

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
everyone uses something different to benchmark with. different game, settings, hardware and so on will effect the numbers. in the end any single one is not worth taking as the absolute gospel but rather look at a bunch of different reviews and mentally average them. this is a good idea of what you can expect. but again your system will differ in many ways and will NEVER match what anyone else manages.
But the difference between the two reviewers are huge, i.e. +24.3% @ 1440p(Gamers Nexus) vs +15.3% @ 1440p(Bitwit).. i.e. obviously they both can't be right.

Last edited:
But the difference between the two reviewers are huge, i.e. +24.3% @ 1440p(Gamers Nexus) vs +15.3% @ 1440p(Bitwit).. i.e. obviously they both can't be right.

Actually, there should be every reason to believe that both of them are right.

Notice that Bitwit tested using a stock AMD Ryzen 3950x, whereas Gamers Nexus tested using an Intel i7-10700k overclocked to 5.1 GHz. The 3950x has more cores and threads, but the 10700k is definitely the superior gaming CPU.

So a 10% performance improvement variation between the two when one is using a far superior gaming CPU than the other (among many other testing variables) does not surprise me at all.

Reactions: Gintama69

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as i said, there are so many variables to how it performs, a different system of course is going to have different numbers. see if you can find something close to your actual system and that should help see where you might be. but again you WILL NEVER match what you see in any review. you may be higher or lower.

you can either enjoy the card with some fun gaming or you can spend all your time trying to figure ut why someone else got 2 extra fps than you. in my opinion one of these options is more fun than the other :)

Solution

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Gamers Nexus tries to remove CPU bottlenecking as a factor so you can see just how fast the GPU runs when it's going flat out. Steve will oftentimes also try to remove RAM clock speed as a factor by using the fastest memory available. Testing a GPU that is being bottlenecked by the CPU gives a useless result because you're not seeing what the GPU is actually capable of. If you bought the 3080 and are getting poor performance, your CPU is probably not up to the task of powering it. You can alleviate that situation somewhat by moving to a higher resolution, so the workload gets shifted from the CPU to the GPU.