Question Disappointed in Toms Hardware recommendations on SD Card for Raspberry Pi

Nov 14, 2022
Read subject article and decided to purchase the Sandisk Extreme for my RPi 3 .

Installed and reformatted then copied the current SD to the new SanDisk SD, installed the new loaded Sd and ran the RPi diagnostics.. Failed with Random writes down to just above 300 when the target is 500.

Tried the new Sd with a completely new image load of the Raspberry OS and..... the same result.

Am I doing something wrong or did i misunderstand something in the reviews?

thx

JohnW

Nov 14, 2022
for you response,

Yes I am bought several from trusted Amazon seller all package etc is genuine and I’ve used others my drones that also have strict performance criteria from sd’s
JohnW

kanewolf

Titan
Read subject article and decided to purchase the Sandisk Extreme for my RPi 3 .

Installed and reformatted then copied the current SD to the new SanDisk SD, installed the new loaded Sd and ran the RPi diagnostics.. Failed with Random writes down to just above 300 when the target is 500.

Tried the new Sd with a completely new image load of the Raspberry OS and..... the same result.

Am I doing something wrong or did i misunderstand something in the reviews?

thx

JohnW
After using a USB SATA M.2 SSD, I would never go back to an SD card. The SATA SSD is 20X faster than an SD with WAY more write endurance. SD cards are not the way to build a PI, IMO.

The recommended SanDisk card in the article wat the Extreme Pro -- The Extreme was given a "not bad" review.

Nov 14, 2022
Hi,

You raise an interesting point about the SanDisk Extreme and Extrem Pro, the official Sd specs claim they operate to a similar spec... so why the difference and why is the difference NOT highlighted in the official specs on the SD Card ???

A totally different question about your SSD configuration, are you using your SSD as your Boot device?

Thanks

JohnW

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

You raise an interesting point about the SanDisk Extreme and Extrem Pro, the official Sd specs claim they operate to a similar spec... so why the difference and why is the difference NOT highlighted in the official specs on the SD Card ???

A totally different question about your SSD configuration, are you using your SSD as your Boot device?

Thanks

JohnW
Yes, the PI4 has been able to boot from an SSD for a couple years. I don't know about the PI3. I have two of them setup with SSDs. The enclosure you choose is important. I bought one and the performance was poor, but the UGREEN -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPG5H83/ works very good. I have 250GB MX500 in one PI4 and a Samsung 860EVO in the other. Both SSDs work fine.

Nov 14, 2022
Both,

Thanks for the quick response.

Learnt something from this thread.... i have just done some Google searches on the subject and I think I need to get updating on my base configs.

Thanks again.

John