DISASSEMBLED: Motorola's DROID Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidblue

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mrddr6[/nom]Thats neat to see the "Google" logo on a phone[/citation]
It's on the G1 as well. I do have to admit I'm a bit jealous, unfortunately this phone was not released on the T-Mobile network otherwise I'd have one of these bad boy's already in hand. Hopefully HTC or Motorola gets something better rolled out on T-Mo's network, My G1 feels outdated :(

mrddr6

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]liquidblue[/nom]It's on the G1 as well. I do have to admit I'm a bit jealous, unfortunately this phone was not released on the T-Mobile network otherwise I'd have one of these bad boy's already in hand. Hopefully HTC or Motorola gets something better rolled out on T-Mo's network, My G1 feels outdated[/citation]

I feel the same way, my USCellular's HTC Touch PRO feels way outdated compared to the HTC hero and It came out for USC only about 5 months ago.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Got my wife the Droid. She loves it. Battery life sux just like all smart phones, but it's pretty close to the iphone in seamlessness. Not quite, but close. It's worth not having AT&T.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]rpmrush[/nom]Got my wife the Droid. She loves it. Battery life sux just like all smart phones, but it's pretty close to the iphone in seamlessness. Not quite, but close. It's worth not having AT&T.[/citation]

Yeah, I heard the battery life is pants. Wasn't sure if it was true or not. Kinda blows that you can't depend on any smartphone for more than a day. Ah, one day...

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I got my Droid the Friday they came out and I love it. I don't know if I'm just lucky, but my battery life has been really good. I go a few days at a time without charging it. The best part about the Droid is that I'm not locked into an Apple product.

So glad I got it!

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
If you leave the phone alone, shut off all the wireless crap you're not using, and turn off all the tasks, It'll last quite a long time. Mine used 20% of the power in 8 hours. That's plaing with it about 30 minutes too. It's too hard not to mess with a new device, that's why the battery life is seemingly bad. The screen eats up a ton of power.

The multimedia dock is a ridiculous rip off. I'll buy the car dock once it's $5 for a knock off. The navigation works really well. As far as I know it's the only GPS in the world that gives you a satellite view while you're driving.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Ohh and $270 for a one year contract blows the 3GS's $200 for two years out of the water.

That being said, I like my brother's 3G more. The droid is too much like a little computer with a phone application. The iPhone focuses more on the phone. I have no "end call" button when I call from a facebook link or others and I have to be at the home screen to launch the phone. Apple's OS is better, not necessarily the device itself.

monicas

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Interesting tear down. I remember seeing the first iPhone tear down and thinking how seriously difficult it was. I think the iPhone is the only phone designed never to be opened. Not even to change the batter. The droid at least seems far more tech friendly in that regard.

On a side note, I just recently heard the droid commercials and they suck. Great phone, terrible marketing.

Monica S
Los Angeles Computer Repair
http://www.sebecomputercare.com/?p=1178

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]monicas[/nom]Interesting tear down. I remember seeing the first iPhone tear down and thinking how seriously difficult it was. I think the iPhone is the only phone designed never to be opened. Not even to change the batter. The droid at least seems far more tech friendly in that regard. On a side note, I just recently heard the droid commercials and they suck. Great phone, terrible marketing.Monica SLos Angeles Computer Repairhttp://www.sebecomputercare.com/?p=1178[/citation]

I loved the commercials. I thought they were great.

Agreed that the iPhone is incredibly difficult to take apart. The feeling you get while disconnecting the ribbons for the LCD is terrifying.

I concur that some phones are easier to take apart in comparison to the iphone. I have a few friends with iphones and one of them had a bad battery or something else to do with the battery. Instead of simply buying a new battery and popping it in, he had to send the phone in and wait 2 weeks for a new one. What a pain. Props to this phone for being accessible.

soliderpp

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Scotteq[/nom]..so *that's* what it looks like inside.(love my 'droid so far, BTW)[/citation]

I picked up a Droid Eris last night and I love it. It's about time Verizon got a couple of killer smart phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.