DISASSEMBLED: Sony's PSP Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

angela1130

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
He means that it's nice to see such small technology in such small package ... Everything these days are so small , you just can't figure out how this little thing can run games and videos. Very impressive !

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]He means that it's nice to see such small technology in such small package ... Everything these days are so small , you just can't figure out how this little thing can run games and videos. Very impressive ![/citation]
Thank you for clarifying this out, English is not my first language ;)

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
the buttons senors are attached to the main board? that's too bad! it means if I get a PSPGo, play a lot, and get e bad button receive ( i mean, when you have to push too hard to have a button entered in the game ), I have to give the PSP to sony guys to charge me $$$ to have a fix?
I know that's gonna happen, after warranty!

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]Dang, some piece of tech there in a very small package[/citation]
I got you, no problem with that sentence, English is not my first lang too!

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I'm impressed. But add access to a 3G network and a full qwerty keyboard and now we have a PSPhone. :p
Too bad that the battery dies out after 3hs of play..

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]Dang, some piece of tech there in a very small package[/citation]Translation, "Damn man! That is some impressive shit right there! In such a small package!"

There, that better? *sigh*

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The PSP-Go is a proprietary DRM piece of crap. Besides a smaller screen than the PSP I read a review ARS Technica, here is a small excerpt, quote:

"The new, UMD-less PSP Go is an absolute dream for Sony. Since it lacks a way to play games purchased at retail, Sony gets to set the prices for every piece of content bought on the system. Who cares if the store down the street has a game for $10 cheaper? You can only get your games from one place; competition with discounting and used games is gone. Sony will now be selling you every game that goes into the Go's 16GB of storage, and without the ability to buy or sell used games, Sony now owns every single piece of the market with this system. And without an easy way to switch the battery for hacking purposes, piracy won't be as easy."

I like their new PS3 slim but the PSP-Go can just go the way of the dinosaur.

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I really don't think the PSP go is going to last long. If I wanted a game so bad. Like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. I want it now. Instead of waiting for hours to download the game. I could go to the store and be playing in about 30 minutes. I do how ever like the Idea of downloading demos.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
If PSP-GO's new software delivery system is so great for the consumer, they didn't need to release a new product to make it happen, they could have been doing this all along with PSP 1 and a common 8gig MSPRO-DUO. The only thing that would make it a win if they opened it up for homebrew.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
People were having issues with the UMD.... it was bulky, sucked up battery life, etc. Whats to keep the owner from loading a game through the USB port?

Its smaller, more portable, lighter and slicker than the regular PSP. NINtendo also has a DL service for their games, as does MS with their Xbox360. So in the end, the PSP-GO's DL service isn't any really different from anyone else.

BUT what is ODD that the PSP-GO is smaller, less mechanical parts - costs MORE money. That is a mistake. At worst, it should cost the same as a regular PSP. And considering PSP's position compared to the GameBoy family... the PSP-GO should be a bit cheaper to compete against the DSi.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
On the inside just about all computers look the same to the untrained eye. This PSP is really not that high-tech of a product. Personally, I prefer the TV screen to such a small device. It's bad for the eyes, bad for your posture, and very unrealistic. I like to feel like I'm in the game, and I like feeling like I'm not killing my back hunched over the dang thing...

zcubed

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
they need to move on from 802.11b wifi. how long has the 802.11g spec been around? for such a nice machine the wifi adapter on it is such a piece of crap. hence the long download times. plus sony has this thing locked down wayyy too much for it to become a viable gaming platform for millions of people.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]blackpanther26[/nom]I really don't think the PSP go is going to last long. If I wanted a game so bad. Like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. I want it now. Instead of waiting for hours to download the game. I could go to the store and be playing in about 30 minutes. I do how ever like the Idea of downloading demos.[/citation]
Let me help you here. Get a life (ref. sentences 3, 4, 5, 6) BTW, 'how ever' is one word.

G

Hi, but in my opinion is the same console true?
May be I am wrong but the original psp had 32 MB internal ram the thin PSP3000 had 64 MB the same than PSP go...
64 mb is not enough for good homebrew projects...
we need wait until new generation with please better resolution... faster processor and at least 128 MB internal ram

ok always will be better a laptop for some things... but I think the psp can be the small powerful gadget that we dream... long life to homebrew in PSP!

OldDirtyGamer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I picked one up on launch day and so far, I've actually grown to like it more than I thought I would. I pick stuff up like this for work and can write it off as research so it wasn't that big of a deal. What I can say is that the battery life isn't that short over the course of the weekend I played through an RPG (Suikoden PSOne DL) and spent close to 5 hours on it at one point without recharging (of course, when I noticed the battery light blinking, I stopped) and another after about 4 hours.

I like that there are several games available for DL although the price for a non-physical piece of software is prohibitive (at least for now). I can understand why Sony has a higher price tag on it for now because I really don't think they want many early adopters while they close out the existing older unit and UMD stock down to more acceptable levels. Sony has a history of keeping prices astronomically high until they level off stock (they're a hardware company, mainly, after all).

There are significant differences between the DSi and PSP, which allows for each to stand on its own in the handheld marketplace. Downside for the DSi is that there isn't a lot on offer for a device that has been in the marketplace for as long as it has (a couple of apps, fewer games) although the direct tie to social networking (FaceBook) was genius. I tend to use my DSi more as a journal camera than as a game device right now although I'm certain that it was not how it was intended...

I like the PSP tie in as the portal extension to the PS3 (of which I own two). The bluetooth link and ties to Skype are fun (although I personally don't use Skype) athough even with my older PSP unit, I used it more to browse simple sports news pages while on the go (before I got my smartphone) or as a music / media player. I also like the size of the PSP Go although it did surprise me at how much lighter it was than my DSi unit (almost 50% lighter).

All in all, I like it but only time will tell if I will use it very often...

Status
Not open for further replies.