[SOLVED] Disc usage while gaming goes to 100% while followed by BSOD. Followed by BIOS loop with no bootable devices.

Sep 20, 2020
Specs: NVIDIA 1070 GTX, i7-9700k, 2x8 RAM Corsair, MSI z370 MOBO, Samsung EVO SSD, 750 watt PSU.
While gaming for maybe about 20 minutes my disc usage jumps to 100 percent and causes my game to stutter. Sometimes it will flat out cause a BSOD. The other day after my BSOD it got stuck in a BIOS loop and it was not picking up my SSD. I formatted it and reinstalled Windows again, worked fine for a few days then the same exact thing happened.
I ran a couple tests and nothing showed wrong with my SSD. I also changed a few Windows options that were suggested and to no avail it fixed nothing. Temps were fine. Now I am stuck in BIOS with no bootable devices.

Solution
guess? SSD since its whats showing problem. (I normally don't like to guess since it can get expansive if you wrong)

It would be an unusual motherboard problem to cause it, I only asked about MB as it could be a software bug between bios and windows, which updating it could maybe resolve.

BIOS - You best off avoiding the Beta version but the other updates mention stability improvements so might help.

manual would show how to update bios, Asus normally have a section on it in the book/pdf
Sep 20, 2020
Did you run magician? https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

as if it happens twice on 2 different installs its likely to be hardware of some kind

Do you have latest bios for motherboard?
Have not run that, will try to when I get it up and running again. And the BIOS is behind a few updates. Is it best to install the very newest one?

And also I forgot to add this to my main post but there has been a few instances where I power on my PC and it turns on with no display until I unplug and plug in my display port cable again. Sorry for piling on here but I feel like it's all connected.

Sep 20, 2020
Which MSI Z390 board? there are a few

I expect there isn't a problem installing latest bios, MSI website will have a video at top of the bios page that shows how to update bios.

i don't know if you have this or not, but card is mentioned - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/ - might not fix but maybe
My bad, it's actually an ASUS z390 A mobo. Sorry to put you on the spot here, but if you had a guess between a MOBO issue or a SSD issue which would you guess?

Colif

Win 11 Master
guess? SSD since its whats showing problem. (I normally don't like to guess since it can get expansive if you wrong)

It would be an unusual motherboard problem to cause it, I only asked about MB as it could be a software bug between bios and windows, which updating it could maybe resolve.

BIOS - You best off avoiding the Beta version but the other updates mention stability improvements so might help.

manual would show how to update bios, Asus normally have a section on it in the book/pdf

Solution
Sep 20, 2020

Understood. Thank you for your help. Hopefully I can get it to work!

InvalidError

Titan
On HDDs, IO randomly getting stuck at 100% causing stutters and freezes is usually a sign of pending disk failure. If you have any important data on the SSD, you may want to back it up just in case.

Generic drive info tools like Crystal DiskInfo can read the SMART info and will tell you if the drive's self-diagnostic has flagged issues or reliability indicators have exceeded thresholds. Vendor-specific tools may be able to go a little more in-depth.

Sep 20, 2020
On HDDs, IO randomly getting stuck at 100% causing stutters and freezes is usually a sign of pending disk failure. If you have any important data on the SSD, you may want to back it up just in case.

Generic drive info tools like Crystal DiskInfo can read the SMART info and will tell you if the drive's self-diagnostic has flagged issues or reliability indicators have exceeded thresholds. Vendor-specific tools may be able to go a little more in-depth.
Thanks for the reply. Crystal DiskInfo didn't show any issues when we ran it before the whole no bootable devices issue. But from what I have gathered here and with other resources signs do seem to be pointing towards a failing SSD. Unfortunate since it is less than a year old, but that is what seems to make the most sense to me...

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you have proof of purchase it should be under warranty. should be able to rma it and get a new one. Just proving its faulty is half the problem. SSD don't show signs normally, they can just stop working. At least hdd can make noises that show they are going bad. Sometimes.