Disconnected/reconnected monitor. Now no sound from speakers

mdm5382

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
Hey so, I disconnected my desktop monitor from my tower and reconnected it to my work computer as I was working from home today. Finished work and fast forward and reconnect my monitor to my desktop and I can't hear anything from my external speakers. I'm not using the speakers on the monitor as I'm connected using a DVI cable. Can't hear any sound on Youtube or Facebook. BUT, if I go to the sound settings and then manage audio devices and test my speakers, they are definitely making distinctive test pings. I even placed my hands on both speakers and I can feel the test jingle as well as hear it. Applications sound is on, speaker knobs are turned up and the PC sound is on as well. I have tried disabling and re-enabling the speakers in my sound settings. Still no luck!

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Go to the Playback Devices, click/select your external non-monitor speakers, and press the Set as Default button at the bottom of the window.

Disconnect any other peripherals attached to the computer as well if that doesn't work, and make sure you actually try restarting the computer.

mdm5382

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
So I didn't do what you just said, but your response led me to it. In my sound settings I had speakers selected, when I really needed headphones selected. I don't know why it's categorizing my speakers as headphones but at least it works now. It was literally a two click fix! :( :(