[SOLVED] Discord Problems with only one network (all else fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.D. Stevens

Reputable
Sep 17, 2020
Okay, this is pretty confusing. I've had the laptop I've been using for about 6 months now. It's a Dell G7 with a Killer AX1650i card in it. I've just moved house and my internet is working fine on every device (older laptops, phone, TV, wired devices like my NAS and PC) except this. Doing speed tests, the download speeds seem fairly respectable (always above 50Mbps and usually in the hundreds) but uploads are stuck at 0.1Mbps. But even then, just web browsing is not smooth at all: pages load slowly and hang often.

It's my only device with WiFi 6 but I only have a wireless ac router - same as at my old place and other places I use my laptop. It's only on WiFi and only on this network. I cannot for the life of me work out where the issue could lie. It seems like it's a problem with the laptop as all my other devices are fine but why does it then work fine on every other network? It can't be a problem with the WiFi signal either as copying files to and from the NAS go in excess of 500Mbps both ways.

Any ideas of things to check?

Lutfij

Titan
If your laptop has BIOS updates pending, make sure you gradually work your way to the latest version. Check to see which OS version you're on. You should ideally be on version 20H2 if you're on Windows 10. Then uninstall your networking adapter's drivers, reinstall them with the latest sourced from Dell's support site(after you use the service tag to hunt down your laptop's support page).

W.D. Stevens

Reputable
Sep 17, 2020
Thanks for the tip! Uninstalling the device actually seemed to work although I didn't even get a chance to reinstall because it just did it itself. Given that it seemed the network problems were solved, I moved my main PC in yesterday and it's been perfect until I tried to do a Discord call. All the videos won't load and the sound is all distorted and robotic. In Task Manager, the network connection is receiving only a fraction of what I usually see with this particular group.

Tethering my phone and using its connection puts it right back to what I'm used to so it clearly has to be a problem with the internet connection somehow but I don't know how given it's fine everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.