[SOLVED] Discord Screen sharing / streaming freezes PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2021
Everytime I click screen share on discord, my pc will freeze for 1 second, then respond for 1 second, then freeze for one second and will continue to do so until i close the screen sharing menu. If I stream directly to twitch using obs there is no problem. I reinstalled the program multiple times and removed old registry files, didn't help. I just did a clean windows install as I got a new SSD and I still have the same issue. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the issue or what could help it? Thank you!

Also if I stream a game directly on discord by clicking the stream button while a game is open, it is better but will still freeze up my pc for a second or two randomly making the games unplayable.

specs: Ryzen 5600x, 16gb 3600mhz ram and a rtx3070

Solution
I would start by reinstalling Discord just as a matter of elimination.

However a 5 year old PSU is very likely more than into its' designed EOL (End of LIfe). Especially if used for gaming, video editing, and mining.

Being 550 watts and appearing to be in good condition is problematic.

All in all the PSU is nearing some threshold limit where the system's power demands are causing the PSU to falter or fail in some manner.

And the addition of the 3070 may have accelerated the PSU's decline.

May vary with the apps being run, what the apps are doing (e.g., preview streaming) and so forth. Power demands.

Freezes and other problems will probably become even more frequent and could end in some catastrophic failure causing loss of...

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time.

Open the window and drag to one side, leaving the window open.

Watch what your system is doing. Let it just sit until stable.

Then launch Discord and watch again. Wait again until stable.

Then click "share screen" . Determine if you can see some change in performance.

What resource is being used, to what extent (%), and what uses that resource. One second freezes should be noticeable I think.

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

May 24, 2021
I cannot notice any spikes in activity when looking at Task manager/ Resource monitor. Nothing is being utilised for more than 30%.

PSU: EVGA Supernova 550 G2, bought in 2016, condition should be okay.

Disk Drives:
Boot/OS Drive: Sabrent 1tb rocket Q4, 35% capacity, just installed windows on it. yesterday.
SSD Storage: Crucial MX300 525 GB SSD, 0% used
HDD Storage: 2TB Seagate barracude, 80% used

However, I have already tried booting with only the OS drive connected and I still get the same issue.

I have also tried different RAM, different RAM slots and using only 1 dimm.

This problem has persisted for the last couple months since I got my 3070. But the card seems to work fine in every way.

EDIT: After trying a different GPU, I noticed that there are peaks/troughs in task manager for the GPU. Whenever the pc freezes there is a large dip in GPU usage. So I put my GPU back in and these are the results:

While watching a youtube video by itself = 20% gpu usage and no freezes
Watching a youtube video and on the screen share selection menu = 5% gpu usage and constant freezes
After selecting chrome to screen share and watching the youtube video = freezes for a few seconds at 15% usage, then starts to work fine at 40% usage but every minute or so will dip to 15% and the cursor will freeze but video and audio playback is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021
The freezing only happens when discord is showing a preview of the stream. Which explains why its so bad in the screen sharing menu where it previews all programs.

Ralston18

Titan
I would start by reinstalling Discord just as a matter of elimination.

However a 5 year old PSU is very likely more than into its' designed EOL (End of LIfe). Especially if used for gaming, video editing, and mining.

Being 550 watts and appearing to be in good condition is problematic.

All in all the PSU is nearing some threshold limit where the system's power demands are causing the PSU to falter or fail in some manner.

And the addition of the 3070 may have accelerated the PSU's decline.

May vary with the apps being run, what the apps are doing (e.g., preview streaming) and so forth. Power demands.

Freezes and other problems will probably become even more frequent and could end in some catastrophic failure causing loss of data, system damage, etc..

Do you have all data backed up? If not, do so. At least 2 x and safely stored at other locations off of the problem computer. Ensure that the data is proven recoverable and readable.

If possible swap in another know working PSU. Higher wattage if possible. Do not mix cables between the current PSU and any new or test PSU's.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.