Disk became RAW after windows fixed errors.

addictedderzthine

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Hi, I have 1TB Storage which is divided into 2 partitions, D drive which is for my Program Files and E for my data. I am using an SSD as my boot drive by the way. My problem is, windows reported that my drive has an error and to fix that, windows needs to restart to do the fixing. Then when restart, my D: drive became unreadable. Data is not my concern here since all my data are saved on the other partition and still accessible. I just want to get my drive D: working again since reinstalling all my programs is a long boring task to do. Anyone who knows how to convert it back to NTFS to access my files again?

Regards,
Derstine

Solution
Hello again, Derstine!

I'm sorry to hear that your issues originate from the WD Blue drive! :( I'd recommend you to follow the instructions from our knowledge base on how to initialize your drive and then how to partition & format it through Disk Management.

If you are still unable to access it afterwards, I'd advise you to use WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows to test the WD Blue. Running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests should help us determine the health and SMART status of the drive.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, Derstine!

Good job with the data storage on several locations, however, it's highly recommended to make another backup of it somewhere off-site before proceeding with the troubleshooting. The RAW format on your partition indicates that the file system got corrupted, in order to access the storage capacity again, you will need to reformat it and convert it back to NTFS through Disk Management. Keep in mind that this procedure will erase all the data on that partition.

I'd advise you to use your HDD manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool from their official website to test the drive, instead of Check Disk in Windows. The utility will help you determine the overall health and SMART status.

Give it a try and let me know what it shoes!
Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD :)

addictedderzthine

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

Hi, Thanks for the input. Yeah I divided my 1TB drive into two partitions. For my Program Files and for My Data, I also have a separate 1TB drive for my Backup so data in really not my concern. I just want my Drive D working again but im afraid I cant get it back. Perhaps, I really need to reformat my disk and do the installation again.

Oh, I saw you are affiliated with WD. My drive is a WD Blue which I bought about 3Months ago. I never experienced this kind of issue using a Seagate drive so maybe you can guide me on how to take care my drive. I do have an SSD for my boot drive so the disk activity on my WD drive is not that busy so i'm wondering why it got corrupted so easily.

Hello again, Derstine!

I'm sorry to hear that your issues originate from the WD Blue drive! :( I'd recommend you to follow the instructions from our knowledge base on how to initialize your drive and then how to partition & format it through Disk Management.

If you are still unable to access it afterwards, I'd advise you to use WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows to test the WD Blue. Running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests should help us determine the health and SMART status of the drive.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution