[SOLVED] Disk Boot Failure Help

gsh

Jan 24, 2019
Hello, my win 8.1 computer is displaying the following message on startup: "DISK BOOT FAILURE: INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" - it was working fine last time I used it, however I was using aoemi to partition my drive on my last use, but I never actually went through with it because it had a 3hr+ estimated time so I just exited the program without implementing the partition and went about the rest of my evening. Today it won't boot.

I went into the BIOS to ensure the boot drive priorities were right, they are. I unplugged/replugged the sata cables in the drive and the motherboard. I tried resetting the defaults on the BIOS which did not help either.

This computer was built in late 2013, but hasn't seen that much use, it is mostly for online gaming and I don't use the hard drive that often so I doubt its failed already. I was partitioning my drive to move the OS over to an SSD, so it would be quite frustrating if it failed at the exact same time...

I was thinking I could put win 10 on my SSD and attempt a boot from there. Could that work?

Any suggestions?

Solution

The way you migrate like that is to migrate the whole thing over, wipe the old...

USAFRet

Titan
Something you did with AOEMI screwed up the partitioning.
Why did you not have a full backup before you started messing with the partitions?

And, given the correct tools and size of the data and SSD, you didn't have to do any partitioning prior to migrating to the SSD.

Might be time for a clean install on the new SSD.

gsh

Jan 24, 2019

Yeah, I could have moved the whole drive at ~650gb of data to the 1TB ssd, but I wanted to only move the OS over and keep the files.

Looks like I'll go with the win10 to SSD solution. I have a usb-sata3 cable, can I literally just buy and download win10 onto it and then select it as the boot drive in BIOS and be good to go?

Also, what are the chances I can access/fix my old drive once it is booted with the SSD considering it still recongizes it in the BIOS?

USAFRet

Titan

The way you migrate like that is to migrate the whole thing over, wipe the old drive, and then move things back to the old drive.

For the Win 10 install, you install the SSD internally, disconnect all other drives, boot from your Win 10 USB or DVD, and install.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution