[SOLVED] Disk Cleanup auto-selects drive

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Hello,

I am attempting to free up space on a recovery partition on my colleague's workstation disk, as it is almost full.
However, when I launch Disk Cleanup, it keeps auto-selecting the main OS partition, C: and does not let me select which I want to run it on.
Is there a way to make it so that I can select the partition, or can it only see the main partition of a disk? Is there even a need to free up space on a recovery partition?

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
See if you can go into This PC, then right click on the drive>Properties>Disk Cleanup, that should bring up the Disk Cleanup window/module with the drive you right clicked on. In hindsight, you should be able to select the drive you want to perform Disk Cleanup on from the drop down menu, you should be seeing a Drive Selection window, if you open up Disk Cleanup from Start;
disk-cleanup-drive-selection.png

Just to double check, go into Device Manager and see if the right number of drives are present on the workstation in question.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
See if you can go into This PC, then right click on the drive>Properties>Disk Cleanup, that should bring up the Disk Cleanup window/module with the drive you right clicked on. In hindsight, you should be able to select the drive you want to perform Disk Cleanup on from the drop down menu, you should be seeing a Drive Selection window, if you open up Disk Cleanup from Start;
disk-cleanup-drive-selection.png

Just to double check, go into Device Manager and see if the right number of drives are present on the workstation in question.

So the 'Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection' window is what is skipped when I open it each and every time.
Furthermore, the recovery partition shows in the Disk Management program, but not in file explorer, so there isn't anything I can right-click on at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS