Question Disk management, expanding partition

Aug 18, 2019
My computer has 1TB SSD and a 1TB HHD. I was running out of storage on the HHD. I cloned the 1TB HHD to a 6TB HHD. I replaced the 1TB with the cloned 6TB. Disk management shows the new HHD is still approx. 1TB. Moving the unallocated of about 4.5 TB's to expand the 910.53 GB NTFS Healthy ( primary partition ) I get the following warning. Disk Management " The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk to dynamic. If you convert ........... Are you sure you want to continue? yes or no. Not sure if I should check yes.

Aug 19, 2019
My computer has 1TB SSD and a 1TB HHD. I was running out of storage on the HHD. I cloned the 1TB HHD to a 6TB HHD. I replaced the 1TB with the cloned 6TB. Disk management shows the new HHD is still approx. 1TB. Moving the unallocated of about 4.5 TB's to expand the 910.53 GB NTFS Healthy ( primary partition ) I get the following warning. Disk Management " The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk to dynamic. If you convert ........... Are you sure you want to continue? yes or no. Not sure if I should check yes.

I just managed to make a pretty stupid mistake, but for what it's worth unless you are going to remove the new drive anytime soon and it's just a case on combining unallocated drive space with a previous drive then it's reasonably safe to confirm the change to dynamic. Help reduce storage load and streamline some program functions.

Aug 18, 2019
I have tried without success to send a screen shot. So this is what I see on disk management screen.
Disk 0 Basic 931.GB online. 260 MB Healthy (EFI system Partition) Windows (c) 929.66 GB NTFS Healthy (boot, Page File, Crash Dump. Primary Partition) 500 MB (OEM Partition)
Disk 1 Basic 5589.03 GB online (D) 910.53 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition) Lenovo_PART 20.00 GB NTFS Healthy (OEM Partition) 1000MB Healthy (OEM Partition) I cloned the original 1TB HHD using WAVLINK . I removed the 1TB HHD and cloned to the 6TB in the WAVLINK, it was not connected to the computer. I really appreciate your response with this novice.

Aug 18, 2019
As you can see from my reply I am still learning and I appreciate your help. OK I think I can do the what you have said. Will I need to then add back somehow the LENOVO_PART and 1000MB Oem partition?

Aug 18, 2019
You probably still have those partitions on your old 1TB drive. If you think, you will ever need them, you can restore them.
They could contain some Lenovo tools, factory reset software or something similar. Not essential for work of your pc.
You probably still have those partitions on your old 1TB drive. If you think, you will ever need them, you can restore them.
They could contain some Lenovo tools, factory reset software or something similar. Not essential for work of your pc.
Thank you for the help and patience. I will keep the 1TB if I should need it as you have suggested.

Aug 18, 2019
You know - you can make a screenshot by pressing PrntScrn button and pasting into image editor (like MS Paint). No need to use your phone for that.

Anyway - to expand D: partition, you have to first delete LENOVO_PART and 1000MB Oem partition.
I tried to delete Lenovo_part and 1000MB OEM partition. I right clicked and got HELP. So I was unable to do as you suggested. What am I missing?

OEM partitions are kinda protected. Disk Management will not allow deleting them.
But you can do that with diskpart.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
(select 6TB disk)​
list partition
select partition x
(select 20GB LENOVO_PART partition, x = 2 or 3)​
delete partition override
select partition y
(select 1000MB OEM partition, y = 3 or 4)​
delete partition override

Aug 18, 2019
The disk is partitioned GPT. My other concern is how do I put the 2 deleted partitions back on the hard drive. I am not sure how this is done using the original 1TB hard drive I have sitting by the computer?

popatim

Titan
I can't see your picture but one is probably your factory windows image, where you press a key during post and it bring you to a menu where you can reinstall everything that the Lenovo came with from the factory, and the other is probably Lenovo's diagnostic Toolbox which is also accessible during bootup.

You may not want these, say for example the Lenovo was windows 7 from the factory and is now windows 10 and there are plenty of diagnostic boot disks available. If so then feel free to delete them as you wish.

if you wish to keep them, then Reflect can still clone. I donot know if they will work from a GPT disk.
to do this, in Reflect you select Clone source, select the destination, drag down the partitions one at a time starting at the left. When you drag down the big one, select it in the lower section and select partition properties below it. Make the partition larger but leave room to fit the remaining two. You might have to experiment to get it perfect.
When you expand past 2tb, Refelct converts to GPT all by itself.

Hey I found a document describing this (I was looking for a video LOL) :
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Modifying+restored+paritition+properties

Aug 18, 2019
I can't see your picture but one is probably your factory windows image, where you press a key during post and it bring you to a menu where you can reinstall everything that the Lenovo came with from the factory, and the other is probably Lenovo's diagnostic Toolbox which is also accessible during bootup.

You may not want these, say for example the Lenovo was windows 7 from the factory and is now windows 10 and there are plenty of diagnostic boot disks available. If so then feel free to delete them as you wish.

if you wish to keep them, then Reflect can still clone. I donot know if they will work from a GPT disk.
to do this, in Reflect you select Clone source, select the destination, drag down the partitions one at a time starting at the left. When you drag down the big one, select it in the lower section and select partition properties below it. Make the partition larger but leave room to fit the remaining two. You might have to experiment to get it perfect.
When you expand past 2tb, Refelct converts to GPT all by itself.

Hey I found a document describing this (I was looking for a video LOL) :
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Modifying+restored+paritition+properties
Thank you for the information, this a very helpful forum. What I know about computers is just enough to get me into trouble.

Aug 18, 2019
Same way as before - clone them.

But .. if you don't know, what those partitions are for, then you most likely don't need them.

I am following up on your solution to my problem and how I ultimately resolved the issue. Firstly, thanks to the dedication and diligent work by those who respond to posts on this site. I was encouraged to do research and not be intimidated in dealing with my HHD partition issue. What also motivated me to do further research was because my local computer repair shop told me it would require a "special tool' to do what I wanted at a cost of $300. I searched the internet and downloaded EaseUS software for approx. $40, reduced to approx. $22 on special. I though why not give it a try for $20's. I made the purchase, got a license key but only got a Trial Edition, which did not need a key to unlock and did not function. Frustrated with no way to get help with this purchase I continued my research. I stumbled upon AOMIE Partition Assistant Standard for free. It did the trick. It merged the partitions. Job done. I am attempting to get a refund but it appears I should have requested, don't know how, technical support from EaseUS. Again many thanks "SkyNetRising." I am in my 70's, used to teach and can only repeat again, many thanks for answering my post and beyond that "an old dog" can learn how to deal with a computer challenge. Thank you.