disk not initialized

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I have recently placed a 2nd hard disk in my machine. I have been having a problem every day spending 10-15 minutes getting the bios to see the boot partition on a drive. I decided to install windows onto a new drive and it is working fine. There was an occasion where I could go into the disk management area of windows and see both disks. (from the new windows) But now, it won't load the old disk . They are both sata disks plugged into the motherboard. A message pops up saying to "you must initialize the disk first in order for disc manager to read" or something to that effect. I read that trying to mess with this with a program like EaseUS data recovery will destroy all the data on the disk.

If I remove the new disk and just boot up with the old disk, I can get it to go into windows on the old disk. it's just a pain.

I think the boot sector (100MB partition) is messed up on the old disk because I tried to install linux as a dual boot system, and the grub boot installer messed it up somehow. Most of the time when I boot the machine, if I hold my delete key, and go into the bios, under the available boot devices the windows boot manager it not there when I was using just the old disk. The way I trick it to appear in the boot menu is to stick a windows usb stick into a usb slot and as the machine beeps, I yank the stick out, and hit my delete key. Usually the bootmanager will appear. This is how it has been for weeks. I finally got tired of this ordeal every morning. If I can get get the boot partition formated, when I start the windows installation media (usb) and go into repair computer, will it see the problem and fix the boot parition? Will it create a new boot partition or put all the proper files there so it works again and will be detected by the bios?