Disk read error windows 7

bobby t

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hello,
i am getting this error on start up but when i use the start up disk 'the orignal win 7 disk it says the same thing disk read error, any ideas???

what is "this error" - What specifically does the error say ?
Any new HW or SW changes to the system recently ?
Are you saying the computer does not boot at all from HD or CD ?
If that is the case, use another computer and burn a rescue CD and try that.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hi,

I am assuming that the startup error you are receiving when attempting to load Windows 7 is a “Disk Read Error” as the title of the thread would suggest. The first step would be to ensure the disk is visible within the BIOS of your system. Also, please remember to check the boot order and that the hard drive is first in the boot priority. After completing those two steps, the next step would be to perform a chkdsk scan on the hard drive in question. To perform this scan, you will want to boot from the Windows 7 Installation Media and select the “repair your computer” option in the left hand corner. Next you will select the “Command Prompt” option under the five system recovery options included within Windows 7. From there, you will follow the steps outlined in the previously recommended TechNet Library resource for chkdsk.

For additional assistance with disk read errors you may find the following TechNet forums thread A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart beneficial as well.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

barry8899

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Jessica, Thank you for your response. After reaching command prompt, I formated the drive, from there, Was able to install after that. Was told problem
was, that it was booting from Legacey, that I should access the C: drive bring up i386, go to Winnt-choose Setup Launch. I wasn't able to do that but format worked. I do so thank you for your time and reply. Barry

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Barry,

I’m pleased to hear you were able to proceed with the Windows 7 install. Prior to installing Windows 7, it is wise to do a clean format on the hard drive in question.

Windows 7 does not have WinNT folder or a visibly accessible i386 like previous operating systems. For future reference, the way you proceeded with the install is likely to be the most efficient way to install Windows 7.

Again, I am glad you were able to find a solution.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro